Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11x14 back for a Deardorff Studio Camera

11x14 back for a Deardorff Studio Camera

Hello!
    I’ve got a deardorff 11x14 studio camera that I’ve been working with for a little while. It has an 8x10 reducing back and I’ve been trying to figure out how to get an 11x14 back for it.
    I’m fairly handy and was trying to go the route of buying another back and fitting it to mine. No luck finding a donor camera at a reasonable price. The rearstandard is 46 x 46 cm

Has anyone had any experience building a back at this scale? Or have any other ideas as to how i could get some bigger negs?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	74E7F691-309B-4D09-9B53-1A0B9E1163AE.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	188411

Name:	195638E5-4E4C-4950-8117-BAEDFDE2DA88.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	188412

Name:	B283625F-B2F9-4712-9B34-6BAFEA6AC832.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	188410

Re: Deardorff large format back

I have the same camera. It also came without an 11X14 back.

Richard Ritter converted a spare smaller back to 11X14 with his nice bail back.

I just looked for his website, It seems closed and I also saw he is 79, so maybe retired.
    Tin Can

Re: 11x14 back for a Deardorff Studio Camera

Richard Ritter can fix you up. His website is down right now. He is on this thread. https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1487291

I sent him my entire not 11X14 back and he made it 11X14.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by austin.r.hermann View Post

Has anyone had any experience building a back at this scale? Or have any other ideas as to how i could get some bigger negs?

Building a back for your camera is the worst solution, demanding professional work because of the film registration problems. A better, easier solution is to find or buy a 11x14 back elsewhere and attach it, adapting it in an intelligent way to your camera. I did so with my cameras I was building, realising the intrinsic problems the back home production represents. I remember that planning to build my home made 11x14 camera I was eyeing a film back from a Lotus camera (they sell it separately, at least years ago they did). I know, it costs a shirt and a leg but a solution in this direction is still better than trying to make it yourself. (I finally gave up my own construction when 11x14 transparency film became extinct .)

Lachlan 717

If you’ve got access to woodworking equipment, camera backs aren’t difficult to make.

I have a table saw and a bench-mounted router. I watched some YouTube videos and then built an 8x10” and a 7x17” back.

A good digital calliper with depth measurement is a must.

As for timber, just look on eBay for antique tables with solid tops. I’ve got some beautiful, aged and stable timer this way for very little $$. Seems people don’t want small kitchen tables from days of yore.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I had some guy in the Czech Republic build me a back for my Indian 11x14 - came out pretty good considering he's half a world away

my measurements was slightly off..but a little filing fixed that

you can find him on facebook… maybe search for camera builders?? he already has a lot of detailed specs for cameras..but did not have it for my camera

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    If you’ve got access to woodworking equipment, camera backs aren’t difficult to make.

I have a table saw and a bench-mounted router. I watched some YouTube videos and then built an 8x10” and a 7x17” back.

A good digital calliper with depth measurement is a must.

As for timber, just look on eBay for antique tables with solid tops. I’ve got some beautiful, aged and stable timer this way for very little $$. Seems people don’t want small kitchen tables from days of yore.
    If he's got a local second hand furniture shop he can find a lot of good wood there too. I know, I have refurbished many of antique small tables for my friends, some with excellent wood.
    The disadvantage of making a film back at home is also the usual need for a home made gg, yet another hassle on the way...

Hand grinding an 11X14 GG is a piece of cake.

I can make a good one while watching one movie.

DIY ULF IS POSSIBLE AND FUN!
    Tin Can

I've ground more than one gg for my cameras but frankly I prefer the professional quality of commercial gg.

Tin Can