Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do when you run out of rise?

What to do when you run out of rise?

Last weekend I visited Amiens and stood before the cathedral with my Wista and a SWD90. Now as cathedrals go this one has a fairly normal width but is is on the low side (about 50 meters). Problem is it only is a small square before it. So I rather swiftly ran out of rise on the Wista.

Now a monorail might have given me a bit more rise but likely I would run into the limitations of the lens.

In the end I just tilted the camera. I didn't try the 75mm because that might help a bit but then again the image circle would have been smaller so the end it might ended worse.

What would have been a better solution?
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Re: What to do when you run out of rise?

Climb on top of a truck or bus?
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Photographer

Tilt the camera up, bring the front and rear standards to vertical and parallel to each other and you have created more rise. You have to watch it or you can easily run out of lens coverage.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Tilt the camera up, bring the front and rear standards to vertical and parallel to each other and you have created more rise. You have to watch it or you can easily run out of lens coverage.
    Yep.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Havoc -- there are two options. one is to use the 75mm lens if it covers the 4.5 format, keeping the back vertical and cropping the undesired foreground. The other is to tilt the camera with the 90mm and correct for converging verticals in post processing. My ancient 4x5 deJur enlarger permits doing this in the darkroom, although a digital scan of the negative may be more convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    In the end I just tilted the camera.
    If you tilt the camera, remember the plane of focus moves.

Ideally, front and back movements (after the tilting the camera) would help the plane of focus land once again on the cathedral's façade, and if not perfectly, a narrower aperture can help expand DOF.

So "getting the top in" and correcting geometric distortion may help one achieve the desired image – but can also cause one to forget where the perfect plane of focus has moved to, where it needs to be, and how to get it there. Post processing may correct for distortion, but it can't move the plane of focus to a better place.
    Last edited by Heroique; 4-Mar-2019 at 12:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Don't think that that little bit of height would have mattered. Besides, getting a truck or bus in the pedestrian zone while the city was full of order troops for a manifestation of the "gillets jaunes" might not have been a smart move Still don't understand why I wasn't tackled with all the stuff inside the cathedral.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Maybe, but I think that the standard bellows wouldn't have permitted it. And as you say, the lens might not cover enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Havoc -- there are two options. one is to use the 75mm lens if it covers the 4.5 format, keeping the back vertical and cropping the undesired foreground. The other is to tilt the camera with the 90mm and correct for converging verticals in post processing. My ancient 4x5 deJur enlarger permits doing this in the darkroom, although a digital scan of the negative may be more convenient.
    Don't have an enlarger permitting 4x5, but yes, in digital I could correct. Hadn't tought about that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    If there's no truck or bus nearby, one might also climb the stairs of a building across the street, and ask permission to set-up in a room with a large window facing your subject. Not sure if this could be done for Amiens cathedral, but I've done this for a gigantic and shapely redwood tree! (In other cases, I've been denied use of a building, but granted permission to set-up on the front steps.)

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Don't think that that little bit of height would have mattered. Besides, getting a truck or bus in the pedestrian zone while the city was full of order troops for a manifestation of the "gillets jaunes" might not have been a smart move Still don't understand why I wasn't tackled with all the stuff inside the cathedral.

Maybe, but I think that the standard bellows wouldn't have permitted it. And as you say, the lens might not cover enough.

Don't have an enlarger permitting 4x5, but yes, in digital I could correct. Hadn't tought about that yet.
    You might want to read this about perspective corrections by computer:

http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/Arch...%20Control.pdf

Thanks for that Bob. Food for thought.