Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Interesting observation regarding Large Format on Facebook

Re: Interesting observation regarding Large Format on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I have always tried to explain it more as a passion that one is driven to follow and can be followed in many ways including NOT doing it for a living.
    Good point, and a realization that may take years.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    What is Facebook?
    A project created and published by Mark Zukerberg as a Harvard student originally under the name Facemash. Facemash allowed Harvard students to judge the attractiveness of each other to create rankings (similar to the Hot or Not site that he launched in 2000). As he didn’t actually get permission to use student photos, unsurprisingly many were not happy with his work. Within a few hours the site had seen 22k photo views, but within a few days it was shut down. He was hauled in front of the Harvard Administration Board. With the risk of expulsion on the table, the board finally decided to let him stay. After a public apology he moved on from his first brush with authority and set his sights on his next project. Then he offered his services to the FBI and other organizations to harvest data from people. Now, everybody who is in FB, has contributed with data to the largest data base that supplies information to business, political, and illegal organizations.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    In that vein, I always brought in interesting speakers, mostly artists who did interesting work. I always tried to bring in a couple of people who had done great work and had made some real contributions who indeed did something else for a living. Richard Wasserman, who participates on this forum, is an example-he has given presentations to my Chicago class many times.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Merg,

I have been reading your lovely book and you explained why you gave up your 20 years career of commercial photography in 1981 to become a real estate appraiser so you could have the freedom to pursue photography without pressure.

It may take years or decades for one to find his/her calling and the best way to get there. Most of us may never achieve what we want, life is indeed a journey. Sometimes I tell myself that at least I am having a great time making images with tools I like.

BTW, what a beautiful book, full of wonderful stories and images! Thanks.

I have found many members of this forum I know spend much more time at FB. I discovered this when visiting a friend the other day and asked him why I seldom read his postings here anymore. He spent most of of time on FB and so were many other members, I was told. While I still communicate via emails and read postings here. I am old and out of date.

To get out of my isolation, one of my New Year's resolutions was to learn social mediums and get into FB, Instagram and some other stuff I don't know. I have yet to do it, because my life is so full without them. So should I join FB, to keep touch with old friends and maybe to sell more cameras?

Yes, FB is good for a business, but do not forget to also have a 'normal' business website.

Where I live now many local only business have only FB Business websites.

I quit FB some time ago and will never visit it again or any Business website on it.

I prefer to shop local, but...

It's a Political decision I made.

ymmv
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I quit FB some time ago and will never visit it again or any Business website on it.

It's a Political decision I made.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by mvanderaa View Post
    While I can't speak specifically to LF, I can make an observation on shooting film in general. I teach high school photography. 10 years ago many high schools closed their darkrooms (fortunately we did not). I know of one high school that closed their darkroom a decade ago that has re-opened it. There are more students interested in shooting film today than in previous years. They think of it like vinyl records — analog is cool and in style.
    Few days ago, I visited the largest photo gear dealer in Spain, Fotocasión in Madrid. The owner told me that last year was very good in film, paper and chemistry sales, and all points to an increase sales for this year.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Hugo: I used FB a lot before to keep in touch with the kids, but I realized the data I provided was never private. Besides, FB became already a place for older guys, kids are moving on to Instagram, so I moved to Instagram too. . But I only provide public information, never private. This forum is the closest thing to private (yeah right!) I participate on.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Merg,

I have been reading your lovely book and you explained why you gave up your 20 years career of commercial photography in 1981 to become a real estate appraiser so you could have the freedom to pursue photography without pressure.

It may take years or decades for one to find his/her calling and the best way to get there. Most of us may never achieve what we want, life is indeed a journey. Sometimes I tell myself that at least I am having a great time making images with tools I like.

BTW, what a beautiful book, full of wonderful stories and images! Thanks.
    Hugo,

Thanks for the kind comments.

I have never had a desire to be on Facebook. From time to time I hear that my work is mentioned on Facebook, but other than that I know little about it. However, through this forum I have met individuals, some in person, who have enriched my journey as a photographer. For me this forum is adequate, and allows time better spent in making photographs.