Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Interesting observation regarding Large Format on Facebook

Re: Interesting observation regarding Large Format on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I have taught film and LF film at the college level for a few decades. I've seen a lot of trends and been able to follow students long term interests as I make it a point to keep in touch. Yes there is an upsurge in interest in film and LF amongst students, but unfortunately I have not seen that interest last long outside of school except for a couple of isolated cases.
    Hopefully, even if they don't continue to practice, they continue to appreciate the fine print, and that helps those of us who are exhibiting.
    I dream in black and white.

I joined into some of the Facebook groups not so much to post images but to dilute the politics and other brain dead posts that would otherwise flavor my Facebook stream. I use fb for family and work mostly. I post something in a group once in a while to be a participant. I think their low image quality and ever changing TOS discourage more posts and that's why there is modest traffic but big subscriber count. I suspect lf is more popular than we know. I bet scanning is difficult for many lf participants too.

Well considering I only post images on FB that are not would not make very good prints beyond postage stamp size, (low res, and such) and contain my copyright, let them try to steal my work.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    That’s different than here where someone new tries to ask a basic question and the vocal assholes keep beating them down until the new people just stop coming.
    I don't see it much. Maybe it is a matter of perspective.

What is Facebook?

I got me one, Portraits of Greatness

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    What is Facebook?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    What is Facebook?
    You wouldn't like to face it, trust me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I have taught film and LF film at the college level for a few decades. I've seen a lot of trends and been able to follow students long term interests as I make it a point to keep in touch. Yes there is an upsurge in interest in film and LF amongst students, but unfortunately I have not seen that interest last long outside of school except for a couple of isolated cases.
    I had worked at a college lab for a time, and noticed that while there was a turn key lab set up, people took it for granted it was there and lived in that moment, but the learning curve/space/commitment needed to operated one's own lab I'm sure changed everything later for them...

When asked for advice about their futures, I stopped saying that materials, situations, costs etc will change, but to survive doing wet work will require great flexibility to adapt to the new changing landscapes required, but possible, so be prepared to make changes work for you, instead of hitting a wall stopping you...

They didn't like that answer, so I stopped giving it... :-(

Steve K

As an adult college student in a small setting that had a huge Darkroom available 24/7, I spent a lot of time there, especially weekends. I worked full time nights. It was empty most of the time, had endless raw materials for chemistry. I took one class from my now close friend. Same age. Then used it for the duration until I moved up to Grad student in a bigger environment.

Those were the good old days. 20 years ago. Then I went digital for 10 years but 2011 made my home a Darkroom, now twice in a second location.

Few are hooked for life, but some can't get enough.

ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I had worked at a college lab for a time, and noticed that while there was a turn key lab set up, people took it for granted it was there and lived in that moment, but the learning curve/space/commitment needed to operated one's own lab I'm sure changed everything later for them...

When asked for advice about their futures, I stopped saying that materials, situations, costs etc will change, but to survive doing wet work will require great flexibility to adapt to the new changing landscapes required, but possible, so be prepared to make changes work for you, instead of hitting a wall stopping you...

Steve K
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post

Steve K
    Yes. It's a tough question. It has always been difficult to make a living in the arts and a very rare person who can make it work at any level. I have always tried to explain it more as a passion that one is driven to follow and can be followed in many ways including NOT doing it for a living. Some of the best photographers I know did something else for a living.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"