Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Las Vegas and Environs

Drew Wiley

Re: Las Vegas and Environs

If you stop at the dam, and have along a telephoto or pair of binoculars, look around the crags on the Arizona side. It's one of the few places where it's easy to spot desert bighorn sheep.

There may be photo opportunities in the downtown area as well, just not landscapes. It's older, the rents are cheaper and there are several galleries in that area. Possibly there are still some territorial buildings left. The Las Vegas urban area, other than the strip and downtown, seems to be miles of red tile roofed suburbs. It can be a fun place & though I haven't been in a few years, I'm sure that remains true.

If you are a photo gear type at all, visit a few pawn shops. Desperate gamblers pawn anything and everything. Have seen 8x10 cameras in some of them from time to time. All sorts of photo stuff on the shelves.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I just got back from Las Vegas yesterday. MY wife and I visited the Red Rock Canyon. Light was flat during the day. Shot below. Visit Vegas itself which has great architectural shots and visit the famous fountain at the Bellagio Hotel on the Strip. From the street you can watch an amazing water fountain shows that sprays in beat with a song they do every 15 minutes, day and night. The pawn shops are in northern part of Las Vegas and we visited the famous one that had a show on TV.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04821-1-2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	198743

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I just got back from Las Vegas yesterday. MY wife and I visited the Red Rock Canyon. Light was flat during the day. Shot below. Visit Vegas itself which has great architectural shots and visit the famous fountain at the Bellagio Hotel on the Strip. From the street you can watch an amazing water fountain shows that sprays in beat with a song they do every 15 minutes, day and night. The pawn shops are in northern part of Las Vegas and we visited the famous one that had a show on TV.

Name:	DSC04821-1-2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	198743
    Doesn’t the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop still have their show?

The best part of Red Rock Canyon, I thought, were the wild burros. But I doubt they'd hold still for a sitting.
    NE of Vegas, going up Hwy 93 toward Alamo is interesting. The landscape looks almost alien, which is appropriate. Turn left after Alamo onto Hwy 375 (the extraterrestrial highway) and revel in the desolation. Just don't go beyond the signs and you'll be fine (if you know what I mean!).
    The desert has a beauty all its own.
    Then there's the kitsch.

Name:	tall_alien - 1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	198747
    From the other side of Vegas, take Hwy 95 up past Mercury and Rhyolite and you get to the town of Goldfield, which is a treasure trove of detail for the intrepid photographer.
    Keep going and you get to Tonopah, which is another story in itself. Right, Jim?
    On the way out of Vegas, enjoy more kitsch...

Name:	alien_brothel - 1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	198748
    But I just don't see schlepping around the Vegas strip with LF in the heat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Doesn’t the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop still have their show?
    Don;t know. I might not get that channel any more. Which one was it on?

I think the guy on the left of the second shot is one of the owners from TV. Is he? Also, the first shot shows the degenerate gamblers hocking their jewelry for a few more dollars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04782-1.jpg   DSC04780-1.jpg   DSC04783-1.jpg