Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Technika lensboard to Chinese copy comparison

Re: Technika lensboard to Chinese copy comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    5G is promoted today from companies that cannot yet support it. There is too much vaporware promoted today.

Promoting the service maybe (att), the hardware is fully ready and not made by those companies.

I don't know how many Gs my phone has, but I seem to be able to make calls just fine.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    At major photo shows some of our suppliers kept a cloth in the booth that they would cover new products with if they saw Chinese attendees approaching the booth.

At one CES show that we exhibited in an American made robot vacuum cleaner was introduced in a booth near us. By the next to last day an almost identical one was roaming around a Chinese company’s booth nearby!
    A Swiss watch maker discovered that he could build a watch using quartz and his bosses did not think it was going to be a permanent thing, after all, they were the master watch makers. They even exhibited the quartz watch made by the employee at a watch fair in Berna. Japanese with cameras came to visit the fair, and few months later, they "invented" the quartz watch. Who has a Swiss watch anymore?
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    A Swiss watch maker discovered that he could build a watch using quartz and his bosses did not think it was going to be a permanent thing, after all, they were the master watch makers. They even exhibited the quartz watch made by the employee at a watch fair in Berna. Japanese with cameras came to visit the fair, and few months later, they "invented" the quartz watch. Who has a Swiss watch anymore?
    When we introduced the Rollei 6008 as the U.S. distributor I received a fax from a company in China that said that if we would send them one they would copy it and save us a “lot” of money!

We desperately need 5G or better, but...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    At major photo shows some of our suppliers kept a cloth in the booth that they would cover new products with if they saw Chinese attendees approaching the booth.

At one CES show that we exhibited in an American made robot vacuum cleaner was introduced in a booth near us. By the next to last day an almost identical one was roaming around a Chinese company’s booth nearby!
    I'll treat this story as apocryphal. To my knowledge, the CES show has always been 3-4 days.; giving that Chinese company 1 to 2 days to create an almost identical copy. A bit much, even for the masters of imitation.

That doesn't change the fact that there is a long history of intellectual property theft. But we're fooling ourselves if we think that all they can do is copy. And they're not slaves to the next quarter's earnings statement.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    I'll treat this story as apocryphal. To my knowledge, the CES show has always been 3-4 days.; giving that Chinese company 1 to 2 days to create an almost identical copy. A bit much, even for the masters of imitation.

That doesn't change the fact that there is a long history of intellectual property theft. But we're fooling ourselves if we think that all they can do is copy. And they're not slaves to the next quarter's earnings statement.
    CES had been longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    We desperately need 5G or better, but...
    No, we don't need that at all, but anyway this will shape future.

Two years ago I attended an IOT (Internet Of Things) seminar, a case was Amazon Dash Button design.

5G is the infrastructure for the internet of things, in the near future most of IP nodes won't be computers or smartphones for people, but things, from cars to coffee pots, and bulbs.

In a car perhaps each independent subsystem will have its own connection. Today each turbofan in an airplane may have a dedicated connection to the jet engine manufacturer, so engines can be monitored by who knows about them... this way will be popular in all the industries.

Then it happens that chinese corporations, for the first time, are to lead a critical technologic revolution. This has global security concerns

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Reminds me of a story my Dad told us in the late 1960s. He worked in a machine shop on and off to supplement his self employed job as a carpenter. One time the owner was very proud of a micro drill bit that the company machined. So proud that he sent it to a similar machine shop in Japan. Some weeks later he received the bit back with a hole drilled through it!

It seems we stopped talking about LF 29 posts ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk