Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a versitile "budget" field camera

Re: Looking for a versitile "budget" field camera

If you're after something that does 75-240 with modest movements, a 4x5 speed graphic pacemaker or similar age crown graphic might do the job. I use a speed graphic for hiking.. Prices range from a couple hundred to several hundred based on condition.

A Sinar F2 is probably the best deal in large format. I've bought two 4x5 F2's through this site for under $350 ea! Probably a little more at auction. L

Google images: sinar f2 folded
    you will see some images of the F2 folded up and taking little more space than a field view but offering a lot more in stability and ease of making movements. Nice thing about the Sinar F2 over a wooden field view, is that you can zero out all the movements with precision... a big plus when using lenses that barely cover the format.

I ended up ordering a Wista VX, which hopefully will make do for some long time to come!

The Chamonix looks great, and I still might get an intrepid at some point. While the intrepid might be cheap, people do seem to make some fine images from them and I do like their cheep and cheery nature.