Thread: Received A3 scanner in the unlocked position. How will I know if it's damaged?

Received A3 scanner in the unlocked position. How will I know if it's damaged?

Hi Members,

I bought a mint condition used MikroTek 1000XL A3 Flatbed scanner on eBay.

Foolishly the scanner was shipped to me in the unlocked position after I specifically requested for it to be shipped to me in the locked position.

There doesn't appear to be any damage, however, how am I able to determine definitively there's been no damage?

I'm pretty annoyed as I did specifically request this to be done well before the item was shipped.

Re: Received A3 scanner in the unlocked position. How will I know if it's damaged?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Hamill View Post
    There doesn't appear to be any damage, however, how am I able to determine definitively there's been no damage?
    You may use a resolving power target (slide) search ebay: resolving power usaf 1951 , a $30 one (offer $20 perhaps) sporting 50 lp/mm would be good for that.

If there is any damage you would see it well, compare with tests posted around.

Alternatively take a very 35mm sharp shot and use a good scanning service, like a drum or hasselblad x1, also scan it with your scanner. Then in Photoshop reduce both images to some 2800 dpi (or 2400) .

After optimizing well both images in Ps you should see the same if your scanner is not damaged.

Re: Received A3 scanner in the unlocked position. How will I know if it's damaged?

^ Thank you very much!

I really appreciate your excellent explanation, Pere. I'll use the tests as you have described. I'll most likely use the resolution test. Fingers crossed it's suffered no damage.

It's such a shame as the unit itself is absolutely flawless in appearance.

One further check would be to put the same piece of film in different scanning positions of the film holder and make sure they are pretty much the same. For example, if the holder holds two strips of film, scan a single film frame in the top left position and then the lower right position. Make sure to lock the exposure controls after the first scan so that they do not change because any change in the auto exposure algorithm could affect your perception of sharpness. Also, make sure the film is as flat as possible for both scans when you insert it into the holder. If one is bowing or warped, that will affect your results but not actually be an accurate indicator of a problem with the scanner itself.

The scans probably won't be perfectly the same so don't obsess over it. You are just looking to make sure they are very close.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com

Thank you Doug for your excellent tips. I'll also give your method a try and see how I go. My gut feeling is that it should be OK but I'm going to run all these tests just to be certain.