Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Epson V700 High Resolution lens

Re: Epson V700 High Resolution lens

Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    Sadly minor differentiation is an all too common marketing strategy. Visit your local drugstore and start comparing the version of cough medicine. I found two versions by the same manufacturer that had exactly -- I mean exactly -- the same medicinal and non-medicinal ingredients. The pharmacist gave it the old college try to explain why they were different... but after reading the boxes she finally had to admit that they were identical, and the goal of the manufacturer was to sell you both bottles.

Them and their horses indeed!
    Yeah, it's pretty common practice. The only difference between Excedrin and Excedrin for Migraines is the directions and the price. The pills are identical. Glaxo Smith Kline will even readily admit that, though their argument is that they're not legally allowed to sell them as the same product because of FDA regulations on the different directions and they can't control how retailers price their items.

And it's also not uncommon for electronics to be identical, yet have different software or firmware to control features. Or they might pull a board out at the end of the production line, or house it in a slightly different plastic body that hides a feature. It costs less money to make two things identical at the factory, and then just flip a switch at the end of the line to give illusion of two different products. Or in this case, load different lenses in to the lens attaching machine on different days (or however they do it).

Computer CPUs are another product that's done like this. They'll make a bunch at a time on a single wafer. Then they cut them down after production, and label some as, let's say 4 GHz processors, and others as 3.5 GHz and others as 2.8GHz. Then they'll set the processors to those speeds in firmware, and sell them at three (or more) different price ranges, even though they're all virtually the same. Now they will test them to see how stable they run at those listed speeds, so the 4GHz may actually handle heat better than the 2.8 GHz version. But there are also market factors involved, so if they want to keep the demand high for 4GHz processors, they may sell a bunch of processors that tested at 4GHz as 3GHz (and set them as such in the firmware), to ensure they're not over saturating their high end product. Hence why overclocking processors is so common, and so unpredictable.

Or look at most any table top power tools. One look at all of the various brands of drill presses or scroll saws (for example) will tell you they're all the same thing, made in the same plant using the same core parts, just with some slightly different features (there are only a few different options and each brand seems to choose a unique combination of those same options) and different colors of plastic and stickers. Yet as the brands change, so do the prices, and oddly enough, the user ratings and product reviews.

It's the way the modern world works. Don't get mad over it. Because if you do, you'll spend the rest of your life in a state of fury, because it is EVERYWHERE!

Just to round out this thread - the lens choice is controlled by the vuescan software. To select the high resolution lens select input mode "transparency." To select the low resolution lens select "transparency 8x10." This is regardless of filmholder. I got this from Ed Hamrick.

I went looking for apple juice a few weeks ago when I had to skip food for 10 days and just drink clear liquids. I noticed at one store they had Martinelli Apple Juice next to Martinelli Apple Cider and the cider was a buck or two more than the juice. Curious about the difference I looked up the maker's website where they explained that both products were identical - it's just that in some areas people call it Apple Juice and in others people call in Apple Cider so they make two different labels for the same thing.

Has anybody actually seen the 2 lenses by physically looking at them?

Seems odd that the device would switch lenses in and out

When my V700 breaks, I will take it apart, just as I have failed laptops
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Has anybody actually seen the 2 lenses by physically looking at them?
    A lens holder has the two lenses, the holder is displaced laterally to interchange the lenes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lenses.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	200488

See page 24 in the Service manual, it can be downloaded here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...page=10#manual

Good data, never saw that diagram before

Some are saying Vuescan can select Hi Rez lens if the 8X10 mask is NOT used, but seems it will not reach the outer limits of the glass platten

Seems the optical range as seen in the diagram disallows the larger area to the platten edges with Hi Rez

That answers a question I have had for a while

When scanning full platten with documents or prints the focus is at the glass surface with Low Rez lens

Thanks for the download!
    Tin Can

Does it pay to go with the V800 or V850 rather than the V700 or V750? What are the real differences? I shoot 6x7 MF and now I'll be also shooting 4x5.

My V700 is now 7 years old, but even the V850 has been in production for a bit long...

Depends on what you need a scanner for

Right now when mine breaks and it will, I will copy all negs on a good LED light table with either a cell phone of my best DSLR

but I seldom make a DIGI print from negatives, only did that 3 times

I send DSLR files to an online printer and they send me prints, far cheaper for me
    Tin Can

Interesting that they refer to it as high resolution and super resolution.

Again, according to Ed Hamrick, in Vuescan the higher resolution lens is activated by selecting “transparency” in the input section. The lower resolution lens is selected by picking 8x10 transparency. That’s regardless of film holder.