Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Epson V700 High Resolution lens

Re: Epson V700 High Resolution lens

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    Again, according to Ed Hamrick, in Vuescan the higher resolution lens is activated by selecting “transparency” in the input section. The lower resolution lens is selected by picking 8x10 transparency. That’s regardless of film holder.
    In this way Vuescan avoids having to detect the holder to automaticly swap the lens. This suggests that decision to swap the lens is made by Epson Scan and firmware simply obeys.

Yes but

If the 'most high one' is selected it will never reach the sides of 8X10 negs?

Again, according to Ed Hamrick, in Vuescan the higher resolution lens is activated by selecting “transparency” in the input section. The lower resolution lens is selected by picking 8x10 transparency. That’s regardless of film holder.
    Tin Can

I am looking at the angle of view diagram, Pere, supplied
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Yes but

If the 'most high one' is selected it will never reach the sides of 8X10 negs?
    So far as I understand, and from my one test, yes. I scan a 4x5 negative in transparency mode with the 8x10 mask and the scan is high resolution and fully covers the negative. If I scan an 8x10 negative with exactly the same setup, the edges and ends of the negative are not covered.

So far as I understand, and from my one test, yes. I scan a 4x5 negative in transparency mode with the 8x10 mask and the scan is high resolution and fully covers the negative. If I scan an 8x10 negative with exactly the same setup, the edges and ends of the negative are not covered.
    ok, but be aware that the Vuescan manual selection of the lens may end in a pitfall, when the higher res lens is selected then focus is at the holder's height, so a holder is required to have the media in focus, and when lower resolution lens is selected we have to scan on the glass bed, as that lens is focused there, if we do that wrong our media won't be in focus.

With Epson Scan there is no problem because lens selection is based on detection of the holder in place, so always the media is in the right distance for the lens.

Just one consideration, with the higher res lens... amazingly the V700 resolves 2900 effective DPI in a 149.9 width (5.9") for the hor axis, covering four 35mm strips at the same time!!!

A big improvement for the Epson would be using a "Super-Resolution" lens covering only 4" instead 5.9", still three 35mm strip would fit and the resolving power would increase to 2900 x 5.9 /4 = 4277 effective dpi, thanks to the amazing 40k pix sensor it has, both for 35mm, MF and 4x5" media.

I'd say that this is more viable with the new holders sporting ANR glass and adjustable height, perhaps with the older holders this would not be as benefical because flatness was not ensured in the same way.

The V700 design has the potential to easily improve remarkably by simply using a longer focal covering less (for the Higher res lens) and improving a bit the the carriage movement.
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 11-Feb-2020 at 06:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    ok, but be aware that the Vuescan manual selection of the lens may end in a pitfall, when the higher res lens is selected then focus is at the holder's height, so a holder is required to have the media in focus, and when lower resolution lens is selected we have to scan on the glass bed, as that lens is focused there, if we do that wrong our media won't be in focus.

With Epson Scan there is no problem because lens selection is based on detection of the holder in place, so always the media is in the right distance for the lens.
    What happens if you are using the Epson Mounting station which sits on the bed. Do you select With Film Holder or Without Film holder in the software

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post

Just one consideration, with the higher res lens... amazingly the V700 resolves 2900 effective DPI in a 149.9 width (5.9") for the hor axis, covering four 35mm strips at the same time!!!

A big improvement for the Epson would be using a "Super-Resolution" lens covering only 4" instead 5.9", still three 35mm strip would fit and the resolving power would increase to 2900 x 5.9 /4 = 4277 effective dpi, thanks to the amazing 40k pix sensor it has, both for 35mm, MF and 4x5" media.

I'd say that this is more viable with the new holders sporting ANR glass and adjustable height, perhaps with the older holders this would not be as benefical because flatness was not ensured in the same way.

The V700 design has the potential to easily improve remarkably by simply using a longer focal covering less (for the Higher res lens) and improving a bit the the carriage movement.
    Agreed, but what's the likelyhood of them doing an updated/redesigned version these days? The 800/850 is already a 6 years old design.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Agreed, but what's the likelyhood of them doing an updated/redesigned version these days? The 800/850 is already a 6 years old design.

And the V800/V850 it's the same than the 2006' V700, with only a LED illumination update, so the product is now 14 years old and still sold. Only a solid electronic product resists 14 years mostly unchanged: The Last of the Mohicans, looking the circuits they include 74 TTL series chips

It is clear is that this update would be no challenge for them, but of course I've no idea about if they plan an update, anyway... as Hasselblads have been discontinued perhaps there is some niche for an upgraded V.

One would think that the sensor chips would be the place to really improve the Epson scanners.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    One would think that the sensor chips would be the place to really improve the Epson scanners.
    Presently V850 sensor is not limiting resolution performance, it sports an amazingly big sensor with 40k rgb pix in two rows, when Creo, a Cezane or a Hasselblad relied in 8k sensors plus optic zooming.

In the V850 case, of the 6400 dpi on the sensor only 2900 are effective, which is near a miracle as 5.9" x 2900 effective delivers 17110 effective pixels in a single pass.

So an improvement in the sensor won't increase resolution. Also optics are pretty good yet, as the lens takes 17000 effective pixels in a row which is an insane amount, so regarding resolving power the right enhacement may easily come from reducing scan width from 5.9" to 4" or to 6cm, just replacing the lens and enhancing electro-mechanical drive for the carriage.

Regarding dynamic range, best bet would be modifiying firmware to allow multi-exposure in a single pass, this is making a short and a long exposure before advancing the carriage, a solution other scanners may be using.

A better sensor, in theory, would have lower noise at a higher "ISO", so exposures could be shorter, perhaps allowing a faster scanning.

The electronics design is very old and probably well more expensive to manufacture than a today's design which allows a higher integration, reducing the component count, the number of boards and its associated connectivity. Possibly manufacturing cost reduction may pay the investment in an enhanced design, but an attractive forecast for the sells should also be in the middle, I guess.