Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Epson V700 High Resolution lens

Re: Epson V700 High Resolution lens

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    The lower resolution lens is supposed to be focused right at the bed level but is often focused closer to 1 mm.
    Quick tip: since the lower resolution lens (i.e., for 8x10) often focuses above the bed, users should certainly test using a homemade 8x10 film holder (mounting station) with this option, instead of the film area guide. Indeed, testing may indicate that both lenses work best with the film holder – which would be set at a unique height for each lens. Goodbye cheap film area guide, goodbye Newton rings from the scanning bed.

Actually there is a bar you put in the calibration area that triggers the lower resolution lens for film on the scan glass directly. If this bar is not out in the calibration area of the scanner then the hi res lens is used. This is why the better scanning and peso film holders have a cut out at the top of the film holder. The V700 should be same as as V850.

This is all very interesting. What a conniving way for Epson to "encourage" buyers to invest in the 750, versus the 700. (Or, the 850 versus the 800.) They COAT (jeesh) the lens in the 750/850!

Maybe they didn't learn about coating technology until after they developed the 700, or somethin'? Do ya suppose?

Screw them and the horse they rode in on!

Sadly minor differentiation is an all too common marketing strategy. Visit your local drugstore and start comparing the version of cough medicine. I found two versions by the same manufacturer that had exactly -- I mean exactly -- the same medicinal and non-medicinal ingredients. The pharmacist gave it the old college try to explain why they were different... but after reading the boxes she finally had to admit that they were identical, and the goal of the manufacturer was to sell you both bottles.

Them and their horses indeed!

Lachlan 717

Didn’t the V750 also come with the wet mount system as standard?

I don’t think that the differentiation was solely based on the lens’ coating; it was a better “system” than the V700.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Didn’t the V750 also come with the wet mount system as standard?

I don’t think that the differentiation was solely based on the lens’ coating; it was a better “system” than the V700.
    When I bought my V750 new a few years ago, it did not come with the wet mount station. It might have come with a PRO version of SilverFast (but I used Vuescan so I can't remember). Perhaps afterwards they started including the wet scan station? I don't know.

When I got my 750 it did come with the wet mounting "station" (if one can call a piece of glass in a plastic frame a "station"...)

>>Actually there is a bar you put in the calibration area that triggers the lower resolution lens for film on the scan glass directly. <<

That bar which mimics the calibration gap found in holders is necessary in order to get the scanner to calibrate correctly but it does not initiate switching of lenses. As mentioned before, switching of lenses is initiated by the software setting selection.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    >>Actually there is a bar you put in the calibration area that triggers the lower resolution lens for film on the scan glass directly. <<

That bar which mimics the calibration gap found in holders is necessary in order to get the scanner to calibrate correctly but it does not initiate switching of lenses. As mentioned before, switching of lenses is initiated by the software setting selection.

Doug
    So does the scanner not calibrate correctly, or at all, unless this "bar" is put in position, or a holder that has a "calibration gap" is used?

If you allow anything to cover or encroach within the calibration area, it usually causes a bad calibration or lines in a scan. A bad calibration can be anywhere from colors slightly off to very slow scans that produce bizarre distorted colors. Small specks in the calibration area often result in lines down a scan. If you don't use the bar (or the "film area guide" which served the same purpose with the V7xx series) but keep the calibration gap area clean and clear, you might get lucky and receive a decent scan. Usually not, but it can be random.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com