Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: KODAK EVERYDAY® ORIGINAL Legal?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: KODAK EVERYDAY® ORIGINAL Legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    If you sell cookies, it would not fly, if you sell T shirts with printed cookies perhaps it would fly.
    Agreed... it all would depend on the court’s judgement on “similarly of good or service”.

IANAL, either... but fought and won a trademark infringement early in life. And lost one too, before completely losing interest in that particular dog-eat-dog rat-race.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    I might be wrong, but it seems to me that "Kodak Everyday" is what they are calling their product.
    IMHO they say Weasel Words, it looks their product name but it isn't. They could have said Mastin Labs Original with "Kodak Everyday ®" print paper look. But as they sell software and not photopaper nobody may think it's a fake kodak product if using "Kodak Everyday ®" as an adjective for their "Original" brand.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    on the court’s judgement on “similarly of good or service”.
    Also IANAL, but I also think this is a key factor.

A photo-related product, regardless of software vs. film, certainly seems close enough in scope to qualify for an infringement.

I also thought that the Kodak brand was being used directly in their name. If not, it sure seems like it. Regardless of any of our opinions, I am guessing a big corporation would pursue this. I will be very surprised if Kodak leaves it be.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Printer paper versus software emulator... good luck with that product/service comparison.

But if Kodak just wanted their name to not be affiliated in any way with this really cool product, maybe the could do that. Big dogs...

https://trademarks.justia.com/870/89...-87089476.html

Many stories of trademark litigation for obviously disparate products/services out there. Doesn't matter if any of us think they are legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Many stories of trademark litigation for obviously disparate products/services out there. Doesn't matter if any of us think they are legitimate.
    That’s right... this is just random chatter. Most folks here are still trying to figure out what’s being “infringed”... a tm or a c or a”look” or a generic product line.

There they also are on solid ground, because "Kodak Everyday" is a paper brand itself
    Can you think of another example where the name of a company's product includes the name of another company's product, without permission? Not in the description, or in specifications that indicate the product "works with" or "is for" another product (e.g. aftermarket printer ink or auto parts). But in the name itself.

I don't see how this would survive a legal challenge from Kodak. But Kodak also has the option to allow it (IMO, when pigs fly).

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ View Post
    Can you think of another example where the name of a company's product includes the name of another company's product, without permission
    I'd say that the product name does not contain "kodak": product name is "PRESETS BORN FROM FILMTM".

Kodak is in the literature, not in their brand.

Let me show an example, you manufacture SuperMarcroTM macro extension rings and your advertisement says:

SuperMarcroTM for Canon®
    SuperMarcroTM for Nikon®

Your brand is SuperMarcroTM, but Nikon® and Canon® is commercial literature that describes mount compatibility. Then you use ® and a disclaimer to not have a liability.

If you say Nikon® SuperMarcroTM, then Nikon is and adjective for your product, not your brand. I guess...

I'd say that the product name does not contain "kodak": product name is "PRESETS BORN FROM FILMTM". Kodak is in the literature, not in their brand.
    I thought the brand was Kodak Everyday® Originals. Presents Born from FilmTM is the description.

Directly below the main title/banner, it says:

"Kodak Everyday Requires Lightroom 7.3"

I think there is no question that the name of the product is "Kodak Everyday Originals" if they refer to it there. They don't say, "Presets Born from Film Require Lightroom 7.3".