Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bellows from Tokyophoto

Bellows from Tokyophoto

Does anyone have any experience using these bellows, particularly the 8x10 Deardorff. Any information about material quality etc. would be
    appreciated. I am familiar with Western, Turner and Custom but I need new frames and the expedience (and price to a degree of Tokyo) is
    appealing.

Thanks, Lee.

Re: Bellows from Tokyophoto

These are by the best bellows money can buy.

I'll keep this in mind.....

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    These are by the best bellows money can buy.
    I've made bellows and purchased from Custom Bellows but am not familiar examples from Tokyophoto. What characteristics make them "the best money can buy?" Do you have negative experiences with the other manufacturer's products that you can share?

The Custom Bellows I purchased were synthetic material and collapsed to about 2" while extending a full 52" in length. They were thin, lightweight, supple, opaque, and arrived internationally very quickly upon submission of my order. Perhaps they were more expensive than other options at the time, but I had read of problems with domestic products so I ordered mine from CB. I couldn't have been more impressed by a product and would order from them again.

I bought a set of their bellows for my Toyo Field half plate and I loved them. Instead of leather or vinyl the outer material was more of a nylon fabric that I really liked, they were described as being "like Gore-tex".

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smigiel View Post
    Do you have negative experiences with the other manufacturer's products that you can share?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smigiel View Post
    Perhaps they were more expensive than other options at the time
    The only negative thing i have to say about CB is that they are VERY expensive. Almost double or more then those from Japan, and i am not sure if they give you the frames included in the price or make you send yours in. Their shipping cost seems to be a bit excessive, but perhaps you can look at the overall purchase cost which is already much higher.
    Shipping from Japan is with EMS, and usually arrives within 2-4 day BTW.

The quality might be top notch, but i can say the quality of bellows from Japan is also top notch, and they are made of indestructible material, which is very easy to work with, even if it does not exactly mimic the look of the original deardorff bellows, which are next to impossible to use if they are not brand new, oiled and fresh.

They extend the full length of the extension the V8 (in this case) will allow + room for movements at the extreme end of things.

The frames come pre drilled, and the whole thing is just a symphony of precision and excellent craftsmanship.

My 2 cents, after having bought 5 bellows form this maker. I have no vested interested in either maker, and i can only assume they all make good work.

Thanks catlabs.

Thanks adelorenzo as well.

OK. Thanks for the additional details. I'm contemplating ordering a set for an older 1970s camera I'm in the market for that will probably need the bellows replaced. The originals on every example I've seen always look trashed. The Tokyophoto price looked good considering the time and effort needed to make a bellows by hand.

I have placed an order and will report back. Thanks again.