Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Should I Bite the PayPal Bullet?

Re: Should I Bite the PayPal Bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    So what is an alternative to Paypal?
    it seems like all of the major bank in the Us now offer a service called Zelle through their on line banking app or web page....I do wish it would catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    In the UK the Paypal fees are 3.4% + £0.20 [3.4% + $0.26].
    Whereas the eBay fee is 10% of selling cost plus postage
    Although Paypal and eBay are distinct companies, they operate as though linked.
    So, in the UK, we are faced with both charges.

I've had problems with PayPal when I've guessed a postage cost to somewhere in Europe and promised the buyer that I would return the difference if the actual postage was less than I had guessed. Paypal initially objected to reducing their charge to me because the total selling plus postage was less than that originally agreed to when the sale was finalized - in the end I got a refund on the Paypal charge.

eBay is in my experience a better company to deal with when in comes to dispute between buyer and seller.

As a seller my default are no-returns and I get proof of [Royal Mail] postage - that is trackable on the majority of my sales. Or I used a courier service with proof of delivery and a signature.

However, in the end everything merely reflects ones own historical experience, and could change after a bad event.

regards
    Tony
    You're faced with both charges because each is providing a service, not because the companies "operate as though linked". You're not required to use PayPal when selling on eBay, so you can shop around for a better deal.

And maybe PayPal works differently in the UK, but whenever I give a partial refund (e.g. for combined shipping), PayPal automatically gives back the portion of their fee that was charged for the refunded amount. I don't have to fight for it.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Ebay seems to be the problem for which we blame Paypal. People can also sell in Amazon and pay about the same for selling. Anyone knows how much? The problem with Amazon is that some crooks open accounts and offer to sell expensive equipment (brand new dslr cameras, etc) at a very low price. People buy and when they open the box, they get bricks. By the time Amazon investigates, they have closed the account and moved to another scam. So, buy by dealers fulfilled by Amazon. Then your deal is with Amazon, not the seller.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    it seems like all of the major bank in the Us now offer a service called Zelle through their on line banking app or web page....I do wish it would catch on.
    Brad, this is such interesting news that I looked up Zelle.

You can send money to almost anyone you know and trust with a bank account in the U.S.
    Useless for international transactions.

I haven't read this discussion from the start. It is one of many such. I'm tired of them. I'm depressed by the level of free-floating paranoia they reveal.

Payment medium isn't the problem, selling to/buying from unknown parties located far away is the real problem. This is where the risk lies.

PayPal is more convenient and less expensive than bank transfers, faster than postal money orders, more secure than Western Union, Moneygram and the like. None of these provides a seller much protection from crooked purchasers. PayPal does protect buyers from crooked sellers. I use it and will continue to use it.

Remember, when using a product -- doesn't matter what -- what matters is not whether it is good, bad or indifferent. What matters is whether it is better than the alternatives.

TransferWise is another option that I've been using for a few years. They're cheaper than Paypal. A number of people on this forum have been using it to pay me.

Kumar

Agree, i have used it often.

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    TransferWise is another option that I've been using for a few years. They're cheaper than Paypal. A number of people on this forum have been using it to pay me.

Kumar
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post

Kumar
    Kumar, you're a highly trustworthy seller.

I'm a cautious buyer and you're not the only seller. I've been to the TransferWise site, found nothing about buyer protection. Did I miss it?

Cheers,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Kumar, you're a highly trustworthy seller.

I'm a cautious buyer and you're not the only seller. I've been to the TransferWise site, found nothing about buyer protection. Did I miss it?

Cheers,

Dan
    As its name implies, TransferWise is a money transfer service, the way your bank operates. It is not a payment service like Paypal, which offers protection to the buyer, though not so much to the seller nowadays.

Kumar

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    It feels like a lot of money - especially on big ticket items - but the service they provide is definitely worth it. I've been using PayPal to buy and sell on line for over 20 years...and will continue.
    Some sellers I have worked with over the years only want cash. What I have done which works pretty well is take all the bills and soak them in lemon juice and just before they turn invisible i stuff them in an envelope. The seller gets the invisible wad of cash they heat them up and they become visible again. It has worked so far.