Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First attempt at large format photography

First attempt at large format photography

Hey Guys,

Im just getting started in large format photography with a TOYO 45G and a 150mm fujinon lens. Im still waiting on a SP-445 development tank to arrive from the USA, so I have been developing my first negatives in take away containers inside my changing bag... anyone tried this before? it seems to work ok but im finding a few scratches on my film. I’ve set myself up With an Epson Perfection V800 to scan my negatives as there aren’t any good, cheap photo labs near me (2 hours from Melbourne). I’m shooting shanghai at the moment just as I am learning the basics of the development process, and i plan to switch and stick to TMax 100 for a while. im developing in ilford ilfosol 3 for 7 minutes at 1:5. quick rinse in water (I don't have a proper stop bath yet) and then 3 minutes in ilford rapid fixer. let me know your thoughts.
    LF selfies are much more difficult than I was expecting!!!

Thanks,
    Josh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan MUM001.jpg   Scan Josh004.jpg  

Re: First attempt at large format photography

I think you are off to a great start. I am shooting with Shanghai GP3 lately and developing it in Rodinal. How are you developing the negatives in a take away container? One sheet at a time or a stack at a time? Scratches can be very disappointing but it is part of the learning process. You have to accept making those mistakes in order to work out the kinks in our process. Keep it up.

Nice work!
    Ain't nothing improper about using a water stop for film.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks guys I’m developing one sheet at a time. I just fill the containers with developer, water and fixer (one of each) and put them in the changing bag with the film holder. Then I remove the film and put it in the developer, water and eventually, fixer. I use a circular motion for the agitation (with the lid on). Im look forward to getting the sp-445 tank in the mail soon my main issue Is cleaning the negatives... I seem to read lots of different things, and the microfibre cloth only seems to put more dust on the negatives, while a q tip with ipa seems to scratch...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37AA19F2-9B98-409A-A895-94B5D6E2C5EF.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	188149

AN acid stop bath is not needed with modern films.
    A very soft , preferably Camels hair brush is ideal. I have used the same one since the 1940's. There are ultra soft artificial camel's hair brushes on the market, but I have not used one. Canned air also works if used properly.

Make yourself a box with sleeve(s) to put your arms in. IMO, wouldn't want to be dripping chems inside your change bag. Look up Afghan camera for how the sleeve works. I made one to accompany my Afghan so we could contact print the negs taken with the Afghan more reliably. Here's a pic of a friend using it. It has 3 'chinese' takeaway containers inside for dev/stop/fix.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	darkbox.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	188156

I've never mastered tray developing enough that I feel it's worth the risk for originals. Even one sheet at a time I sometimes get scratches, no matter how careful I think I'm being. I prefer Jobo expert drums, but have had good luck with daylight tanks as well. I do use trays when making masks since if there's a scratch I can redo it.

Water based stop is fine, even with an acid fixer like the Ilford you're using. Just give it an extra fe rinses.

If you're tank is going to be long time in coming you could use homemade BZTS style tubes. You can make them from pvc electrical conduit and caps. Then you can get out of the changing bag and cut out the scratches.

Thanks Nigel that looks much better than my cramped changing bag!! I was spilling a little bit inside the bag...My SP-445 tank arrived last night so I developed some more 4x5. Didn’t have time to scan them this morning though damn that drying time. The holder were a bit flimsy but it works.

Daddyo

Hi Josh --

Welcome to the forum, and to the format!

Those shots look nice, tonally very attractive, and I love the extremely shallow depth of field on the first one.

Was prompted to reply because of your mention of the SP-445: I have one and love it! Works absolutely great!

One note: I haven't gotten over an urge to wrap a fat rubber band vertically around the SP-445, securing the lid on. Probably completely unnecessary, it just unnerves me a little that the rubber gasket is all that's holding the lid on. I guess it's a "belt & braces" kind of thing. I've never had the lid come off when I didn't want it to, but then, I've never tried it without that rubber band! I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the tank - mine are overwhelmingly positive - the rubber band thing says more about me than about the design...

Anyway, welcome to the outfit, and keep at it: what you've got so far is looking great!

Daddyo
    Framing, Finding, Focusing, Reading, Placing, Falling, and Logging, all the day long...

Welcome to the forum! I'm someone who started their 4x5 journey just last year, and my SP445 has been my best purchase. A little changing bag, some HC-110, some Photographers Formulary TF-5 - and you're ready to go. I'm not sure what your availability in Australia is, but Fomapan is a great, cheap choice up here.