Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The learning curve of large format

Marco Fantin

The learning curve of large format

Hi,

I started with black and white 8x10 almost two months ago. A lot of frustration but also a lot of things learned.
    I went through 30 sheets more or less, of which probably 1-2 of which I am happy with (technique and composition).

Nothing, I just wanted feed on how steep the learning curve is.

I know it's never going to be flat.
    My Youtube Channel - Darkroom and large format tutorials

Re: The learning curve of large format

Well, I’m glad you have not been discouraged and given up. It’s easy to blame the equipment when all it takes is more practice. I hope you get a chance to print in the darkroom. Personally, seeing the print makes it all worthwhile and motivates me to go out and try again. I would be interested to see your work. Keep it up.

Eric Woodbury

It can be as steep as you like. I started with a Speed Graphic, so camera setup, lens choice, and movements weren't big obstacles -- I ignored them. Focus and shoot. I learned about the film and tray development while I built another camera. So I'd say, no steeper than anything else and a lot more fun.

e

Started with 4x5 at university. They had the whole set-up so it was not too much of a problem. Jumping to 5x7 seemed very easy...especially since all I did was put a 5x7 back on my 4x5 camera. The jump to 8x10...quite a bit bigger jump. The space required jumped up, too. A couple decades with that and the jump to 11x14 was not easy...still isn't, but fun.

You started large and it sounds like you are close to the first level where you can start to concentrate more on image than on equipment/process. Then you can steepen the curve again to improve on your gains.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I've been shooting LF for over 30 years and I'm lucky to get 1-2 negatives out of 30 that I'm really happy with. You'll be fine

+1 to Doremus' comment.

The hard part isn't operating the equipment, it is seeing. When I started out, I had a checklist with everything I had to do to set up a shot and take the exposure. Got into trouble every time I missed a step, but eventually I learned.

Foamer

Make a checklist and follow it as you take a photo. This will dramatically cut down on mistakes.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Achecklist is the answer along with , SLOW DOWN and think through each image prior to making the exposure.

Drew Wiley

Don't get discouraged. Two years might make more sense than two months. Twenty years is even better. We're always learning. I recommend just practicing visualization by looking through the ground glass a lot. You don't have to expose film every time.

I'd like to see someone's checklist.