Thread: Pacemaker Graphic 4x5 light seal material

Pacemaker Graphic 4x5 light seal material

I had to replace the fabric strips that made the light seal for my Graphic 23 roll back on my 4x5 Pacemaker. I used some 1mm thick felt material camera light trap strips I had on hand. With film back on and dark slide pulled, I set the camera in the sun for a while. Then I advanced frame and shot a few test frames. The first frame after sitting in the sun is fogged badly. The test frames seem ok. I think the recommended light trap material is black velvet. Maybe I should use the velvet because it is fuzzier and may crush for a better seal? Anyone had good experience with replacing the material for this light trap? I am kind of desperate because I am heading to Tucson next week. Thanks!

Re: Pacemaker Graphic 4x5 light seal material

It requires a high quality velvet, not the cheapest you can find.

I was thinking of maybe the fuzzy part of Velcro?

Look at it. All of the velcro strips I've see have been pretty transparent.

Oh, and by the way, you should never pull the dark slide all the way out. With an empty roll holder, pull it out until it just clears the gate. Mark it where it enters the holder. When using, pull out to the mark.

Yes!!!!!The dark slide tip makes perfect sense! Most of my fogging was on the dark slide end. DUH. I still think I should replace my seals with recommended velvet strips if I can find suitable material.Thank you for such a simple fix . I'm sure the dark slide tip would be good for 4x5 film holders also.

If you need some velvet, try the velvet flocking material sold for telescopes.

The velvet I am finding seems thin. Shouldn't the fuzz stand out from the back plane a little? I already have new 1mm thick light trap felt installed that extends very slightly out from the plane. I would think that would seal, but apparently not. I am thinking about gluing my velvet ribbon to the felt to make a better seal? Or should I strip off my felt and replace entirely with velvet? I do not want the light seals to actually push the film back away from the camera! I think the placement of the seal areas is kind of odd to begin with. Why not all the way around the back?

Good news!! I finally got outside in a recent , rare sunny day and shot a roll of film. I kept my felt light trap material on and used the advise of not pulling the dark slide all the way out. Every frame is perfect!! Off to Tucson tomorrow. Thanks!