Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internal reflection in Zone VI 4x5

Internal reflection in Zone VI 4x5

Hi,

I'm looking for help dealing with what I think is a reflection in my recently acquired Zone VI 4x5. There is a straight, rather sharp dark line (on the negative and appears as a bright line in the positive) parallel to the short edge of the sheet at the dark slide (left) end of the holder (see photo). It's always straight and the full width of the sheet. Taking the gg holder off the back of the camera all the area where the film holder slides in is shiny and the edge of the film opening next to the groove where the holder locks in is especially shiny. I'm thinking that there is a reflection from this rounded area that's making the line on the negative. This is seen in more than one film holder, though I've been almost exclusively using newish Riteway holders lately. It hasn't appeared on all negatives, but seems to be more frequently in the last 10-or-so sheets. My question is, what is the best thing to put on these shiny wood surfaces to remove the reflection that won't also flake off onto the negative? Will flat black paint rub off and produce a powder onto the film? Will a v. dark wood stain reduce the reflections enough? (As you can tell, I'm not a wood worker.)

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lenses_neg3-3194.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	188534

Re: Internal reflection in Zone VI 4x5

I don't think I'm the only one that overlaps all that garbage around the edges of the negative image on the easel blades to crop it out of the final image. Does your groundglass even image that area?

Photographer

You can get paint pens that are used to touch up furniture. They look like a Sharpie.
    Keith Pitman

krylon ultra flat black paint.
    spray some into a cup n use a small sable brush to apply it evenly.

https://www.filmtools.com/krylon-ult...ray-paint.html

check the neg carefully to be sure its not a scratch?

That looks like a scratch to me. Or maybe something in the development or something else. It could be a scanner issue too. Make sure you can see it on the physical film, and not just on the scans of it. A light leak will almost always have a soft edge, since the light falling onto the film isn't focused like the light coming through the lens. That looks like a pretty hard and thin line to my eye, and doesn't look like any light leak I've seen. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by jim10219 View Post
    That looks like a scratch to me. Or maybe something in the development or something else. It could be a scanner issue too. Make sure you can see it on the physical film, and not just on the scans of it. A light leak will almost always have a soft edge, since the light falling onto the film isn't focused like the light coming through the lens. That looks like a pretty hard and thin line to my eye, and doesn't look like any light leak I've seen. I could be wrong though.
    I fully agree. This doesn't look like any light leak I have ever encountered. Do you seethe line on the negative,or just on the scans? Use a loupe and examine the negative.

My Zone VI had a similar issue. I fixed it with a Sharpie (I think- it was decades ago). Take the back off the camera and put a holder in place. Remove the dark slide and take a good look for where the light might be reflecting. I'd be more specific, but the camera is packed away for moving right now and I can't get at it.

Flat black spray paint. Mask the area well and give a light coat. For small spots, a Sharpie works too, but it's not really flat.

However, don't discount the possibility that the reflection is coming from an edge of the filmholder and not your camera (which is what your photo looks like to me). I lightly sand all the edges on my filmholders to prevent this.

Best,

Doremus

Spray paint scares me to digital. A Sharpie is flat enough.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

for god sakes, use your head. dont spray the area to be covered!

spray some paint in a cup n use a small sable brush to apply an even coat as i said in my original reply.