Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antique brass portrait lenses for 4x5

Antique brass portrait lenses for 4x5

Hi All,
    I am looking for antique brass portrait lenses for 4x5. I love the effects I have seen on 8x10 portraits taken with Dallmeyer and Darlot lenses. Can you recommend lenses that produce similar effects for 4x5 format?
    I have an Ebony 4x5 and a Speed Graphic cameras that I plan to use the lens with.
    Thank you very much,
    Suti

Re: Antique brass portrait lenses for 4x5

Any half plate lens should be fine, so ~4-6" or similar lenses. Dallmeyer and Darlot both made lenses in that range. I've found a lot of older 5x7 lenses work nicely with 4x5 as well. I've done the same thing and made plate adapters for my Speed Graphic and Premos. I'm guessing you're referring to Petzval or Portrait style lenses and not wide angle or landscape lenses.

http://www.antiquecameras.net/petzva...ldarticle.html has a good history summary and talks about the different variations.

How much money do you want to spend?

Thanks. I don't have a budget in mind, just want to see all available lenses out there. Are lenses from magic lantern Petzval design?

Quote Originally Posted by Lethargus View Post
    Any half plate lens should be fine, so ~4-6" or similar lenses. Dallmeyer and Darlot both made lenses in that range. I've found a lot of older 5x7 lenses work nicely with 4x5 as well. I've done the same thing and made plate adapters for my Speed Graphic and Premos. I'm guessing you're referring to Petzval or Portrait style lenses and not wide angle or landscape lenses.

http://www.antiquecameras.net/petzva...ldarticle.html has a good history summary and talks about the different variations.
    Thanks, I will check it out. Yes, I ‘m looking for a petzval portrait lens.

Quote Originally Posted by suti View Post
    Thanks, I will check it out. Yes, I ‘m looking for a petzval portrait lens.
    The Lerebours et Secretan 15" petzval portrait lens I bought last year cost me $2000. The good ones are not cheap.

If you watch ebay you can pick up a Dallmeyer for ~$300-400 or an unmarked (if you're feeling brave) for $100-300, but good ones in good condition are definitely pricey.

Here is the problem with fast Petzvals on Speed Graphics. To get coverage, you need a fairly large lens and lensboard. It's a result of the narrow angle of view of the design. So whereas with modern lenses you may only need a 150mm lens, with a Petzval that won't cover. 175mm probably won't cover, if it's the normal F3.8. So you end up needed a very large, fat lens that won't fit on your 4 inch lensboard. You can go to a slower Petzval, but then lose the signature.

Here is a shot with about a 6" Frederick Cox petzval on a speed graphic. Note the vignetting.

Last edited by goamules; 27-Feb-2019 at 14:38.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Here is the problem with fast Petzvals on Speed Graphics. To get coverage, you need a fairly large lens and lensboard. It's a result of the narrow angle of view of the design. So whereas with modern lenses you may only need a 150mm lens, with a Petzval that won't cover. 200mm probably won't cover, if it's the normal F3.8. So you end up needed a very large, fat lens that won't fit on your 4 inch lensboard. You can go to a slower Petzval, but then lose the signature.
    Yup. This too is true. You might opt to pick up a cheap Magic Lantern lens and try that out to see if it delivers what you want.

I know people alter their lens boards to fit larger lenses, like Aeros. So it can be done, just not a fast job. Here is my Speed with a Perkins, son and Rayment. It didn't cover either.