Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TF5 for film?

TF5 for film?

Hi everyone,

Last night, I developed film for the first time in a while. I recently switched to using TF5 fixer for my printing work, and I fixed my FP4 in it for two minutes. When it was done, all the negatives looked fine, fully cleared, etc.

However, I read after the fact that TF5 isn’t good for film or shouldn’t be used. Should I be concerned for my negatives?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: TF5 for film?

No idea where that came from. Just make sure you use the correct dilution & keep the working strength fix you use for film separate from the working strength fix you use for paper - if you use the same bath for both, it'll exhaust faster (owing to the difference between film & paper emulsions I recall).

I fixed my FP4 in it for two minutes. When it was done, all the negatives looked fine, fully cleared, etc.

The moment, when the negatives are fully cleared, marks only the first half of fixing! That means, when the clearing time is 2 minutes, then the total fixing time should be 4 minutes.

I never met a film that didn't like 5 minutes in the fixer. Maybe I'm hanging around with the wrong crowd when I meet them.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

http://stores.photoformulary.com/tf-5-archival-fix/ says it is for both film and paper.
    I'd suggest separate mixes for film and paper, so the film fixer does not receive any paper fibers or airborne contaminants from sitting in a tray for a long time.

There's no reason TF5 wouldn't work just fine and dandy for film.

TF4 and TF5 have similar capacity, some say that with some films 5 has a lower capacity. TF4 is alkaline and TF5 is neutral. TF5 has less odor, but many would prefer TF4 because it is an alkaline fixer.

Arg, Fix film for the manufacturer's recommended time for whatever kind of fixer you are using (rapid or conventional - TF-5 is a rapid fixer). While your at it read up about doing the test for clearing time. It's a good way to know if your film fix is exhausted. You can determine minimum fixing time with the clearing test as well. Rule of thumb: fix film for at least twice the clearing time. When clearing time approached double that in fresh fixer, your fixer is exhausted and needs to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    I never met a film that didn't like 5 minutes in the fixer. Maybe I'm hanging around with the wrong crowd when I meet them.
    Note I said minimum fixing time above. For film, it's often a good idea to fix longer, to be sure of adequate fixation, to get rid of the pink sensitizing dyes, etc., etc. I'm with Bruce: I like six minutes and two-bath fixation in rapid fixer for just about everything. I use the clearing-time test to know when to discard bath one.

One caveat with alkaline and neutral fixers for film: Carried-over developer can be reactivated in the fix. If you turn on the room lights to early when fixing, you can end up with fogged film. Don't ask me how I know this

Best,

Doremus

I mix 2 batches of TF5 per instructions with distilled water.

One is for film the other for paper.

I fix film for at least 5 minutes. T-Max is more.

RC paper 60 seconds and FB paper 120 seconds per Ilford.

I test clearing time every time with strips of X-Ray and TF5 seems to last forever so I dump after 1/2 rated capacity.

Water stop for film, citric acid for paper.
    Tin Can

Randy's right - I fix T-max in TF5 for ten minutes, like Kodak tells me.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com