Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Omega Enlarger Timer Problem

Omega Enlarger Timer Problem

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring this out though so hopefully someone here can help.

When I purchased my enlarger a couple of years ago, the previous owner included a complete Omega timer/power supply/Stabilizer/dual foot pedal setup (Part Numbers 461-014/412-021/404-841/461-054) that he wasn't using. At the time I didn't ask any questions but recently I thought I would pull it out and have a look.

Rather than risk my enlarger, I've just plugged a desk lamp into the socket on the back of the timer. The back is pretty well labelled and the plugs are unique so I think I'm all plugged in ok (never say never though).

There's a rocker switch on the timer (off/focus/time). The focus position doesn't seem to do anything. You can hear a short low hum from the power supply when it's set to "Focus" but very brief and other than that, nothing. When I set the rocker to "Time" however, the lamp comes on and stays on. When I depress the focus pedal, the lamp goes out until I release the pedal at which point the lamp comes back on. When I depress the print pedal, the lamp goes off for the amount of time I set and then comes back on - seems reversed. I thought the foot pedal might be suspect but operating without it doesn't make a difference.

Maybe it's something stupid I"m doing but I can't figure it out - any ideas? Sorry - rotated this picture a couple of times but always seems to post sideways

Thanks
    Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0762.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	187973

Re: Omega Enlarger Timer Problem

Out of curiosity. Is the bulb in your lamp the same voltage and wattage as the bulb in your enlarger?

Ed Freniere

It does sound exactly reversed - like your desk lamp is plugged into the safelight socket on the timer.

yes, perhaps the enlarger goes into the 4 or 6 slot plug. In any case I expect you have shown that the timer works.

definitely sounds like outlets are reversed. no idea how...can u post photo of the outlets ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

My Omega Chromega 4x5 head came with what looks like an older version of your timer. The head has a multiprong plug and the safe light is a normal 2 prong outlet. It sounds like yours is backwards.

Thanks for responding so quick.

I do have the desk lamp plugged into the safelight socket as per photog_ed's comment but I can't see anywhere else that the enlarger would plug into. The other sockets are for the timer (one male and the other female) plus the odd 6 pin for the stabilizer. The stabilizer itself has a similar 6 pin but I was thinking it's to piggyback another stabilizer or something. The enlarger itself is an Omega ProLab D6 and it has a regular 3 prong plug on it so wouldn't plug into it. (again - sorry for the picture - I'll have to sort that out)

Thanks
    Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0764.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	187985

have you tried disconnecting the stabilizer to see if that helps. is that cable at left (under safelight outlet) male or female ? If female, i would test without the stabilizer and plug the enlarger into that.

this link has basic info, not much though.

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...20Dichroic.pdf
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by DHodson View Post

Rather than risk my enlarger, I've just plugged a desk lamp into the socket on the back of the timer.
    Some people like the safelight to go OFF during exposure.

The enlarger itself is an Omega ProLab D6 and it has a regular 3 prong plug on it so wouldn't plug into it.
    Reads like you have the condenser head with 120V lamp. You don't need the 24v power supply, use only the timer.

The instructions are on the internet. I'd post the PDF if I could.

The super Dichroic colour head has a 6 bladed plug and goes in the back of the stabilizer. The from timer and to timer plugs go in their respective sockets. The safelight goes in the safelight plug.
    If your enlarger head does not have a 6 bladed plug then this setup is not for you. The stabilizer is only used for Dichroic heads. I think the timer can be used if you switch the switch in the middle to reverse the actions and plug in the enlarger to the regular plug. The other two timer plugs go in their respective places. In this setup you do not have a safelight function.