Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film washer info

Film washer info

Hi all,

I'm wondering if people might be able to give me some advise on where to find / what to look out for for film washers.

I'm currently washing my 8x10" negatives in a Patterson washer that was designed for RC paper but works well for 8x10" film, too. Problem is it's only really good for up to 2 sheets at a time, and I'd like something that can accomodate more so I can wash sheets for longer as I keep processing.

I'm wondering if people out there use upright print washers, such as the Nova Washmaster (30x40cm) or Kienzle W30 (9.5x12") for washing film, and if so, how do people get the film out of the wash chambers without scratching it? Are they suitable for the task, or does using them run the risk of having the emulsion stick to the side of the tank? And do people install these above / beside the sink so that they have more room for trays?

Any suggestions as to alternative products welcome.

Thanks,

Tim

Re: Film washer info

I develop in drums and expert tanks and wash in those. I now its not tray work but another option is hangers and deep tanks but that's gonna involve cost of acquiring them. vertical washers could work but as you note, would the film be damaged when stuck to the panels ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I wash 8x10 film and paper in an 8x10 Zone VI washer that I bought decades ago. Holds about a dozen or so sheets. Also have a Kostiner 8x10 film washer that washes the film on hangers. Mostly, I use the Zone VI. I have these in 8x10, 11x14 & 16x20. The 8x10 one is set up in the darkroom, and I bring in the others as needed. Not too many people making washers these days, not sure if Versalab is still makeing them. Probably need to post a WTB here, or look on the auction site; some currently listed.

Hangers can be washed in buckets, but i just store them there

I use covered tanks to process and wash in open tank

I have plastic and SS paper washers for prints

If it's 14X36" X-Ray I just do it all with clips see saw in large trays including wash.

Buckets of hangers by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Now use an 11x14 Kostiner Archival Washer. You can pretty much always find an 11x14 vertical archival washer on the auction site for $200+, be it a Versalab, Zone VI, Gravity Works, East Street Gallery, etc. Always liked East Street Gallery's plexiglass washer, but just never found one FS. I was in no rush and waited around till I found one for just over $100 with free shipping. Shipping can be a killer. Beware of washers that have had their flow rates increased. People think that by pouring a lot more water through the washer, you will shorten the washing times and get a better washed prints... not so. Maybe some out there has a recommended flow rate. My Kostiner was modified to greatly increase its flow rate. Had to return it to its original specs, and with no OEM parts available had to redesign its flow system. Took a couple of tries to get it up to spec. Fortunately found some Kostiner literature that listed the washer's flow rate.

I’ve used an 11x14 Zone VI washer for 4x5, 8x10, and paper for nearly 40 years. I keep it in the darkroom sink. On occasion, I do use hangers.

A 16x20 Kostiner washer weighs 66 lb. (30 kg). Shipping cost, indeed, should be reckoned with.

Mine arrived packed in nothing but plastic peanuts, but miraculously survived the cross-country trip.

Doesn't Alistair Inglis still sell print washers?
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post

Hey Joe Pretty sure Alistair Inglis is out of the business/retired or at least I remember the topic coming up not all that long ago w/ that being the news. Here's the thread, https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ir-Inglis-Done

I think this is still made. I have one.

Call him, he made Leedal for a long time.

http://www.rosyproducts.com/archivalprintwashers.htm
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post

Alisrair Inglis retired and closed his business. I have his dedicated film washers in 4x5, 6.5x8.5, and 8x10. If you can find one in the format you want they are excellent. I’m still looking for one in 5x7 without any luck so far.

Roger