Thread: Majestic Tripod Head 1-1/2" Post Adapter (Model 800 adapter) - Request For Comments

Majestic Tripod Head 1-1/2" Post Adapter (Model 800 adapter) - Request For Comments

Hi Everyone,

I decided to start a new thread specific to my adapter. I had an adapter made at a local machine shop that would allow me to mount my majestic tripod head to a regular 3/8" screw type tripod. Similar to Majestic's Model 800 adapter. It has a 1-1/2" diameter spud. I'm considering doing a small run of these and would like your input. Any suggestions for making it better? Thanks in advance!

(Images are clickable for full resolution)

Wolfy

Re: Majestic Tripod Head 1-1/2" Post Adapter (Model 800 adapter) - Request For Commen

(Images are clickable for full resolution)

Re: Majestic Tripod Head 1-1/2" Post Adapter (Model 800 adapter) - Request For Commen

You already got set screws, else that would be an option. Are you satisfied with the 1/2"? height of the widest part - this could be made lower. You probably do not want to have it anodized, but if you make it yourself, a black paint on the widest part would look nice when you have in the lathe

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    You already got set screws, else that would be an option. Are you satisfied with the 1/2"? height of the widest part - this could be made lower. You probably do not want to have it anodized, but if you make it yourself, a black paint on the widest part would look nice when you have in the lathe

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix
    Thanks for your reply. I'm happy with the height and width of the widest part (the base). It feels solid, and somewhat over-engineered to me, which I like. I'm thinking of adding some knurling to the base too, for grip when mounting and removing from the tripod. It adds considerable cost to each piece though.

Wolfy

Here's the final:

Lightbulb Re: Majestic Tripod Head 1-1/2" Post Adapter (Model 800 adapter) - Request For Commen

Hi Wolfy,

Very nice (I'm a machinist, so I appreciate things that are well-done).

I would add an anti-rotation screw on the bottom that could mate with any slot that might be on the tripod head.
    Majestic and other large tripod heads have such a slot, allowing the retaining screw to move back and forth.

This hex-drive screw from McMaster-Carr has a 3/8" diameter smooth side that won't damage the tripod head:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/90332a131

The particular item linked has a 1/4"-20 male thread, and is 1/2" long.
    Other thread sizes and head diameters are available. The thread size varies with the head diameter.

- Leigh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_McM_Smooth-sided-screw.png  
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Thanks for the idea, Leigh. Glad you like it too!

Roughly how much did the machine shop charge you for this?

Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
    Roughly how much did the machine shop charge you for this?
    MrFujicaman - I just pm'd you.