Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curved back for panoramic camera

Curved back for panoramic camera

Hello,

I'm toying with the idea to build a 4 x 10 panoramic camera with a pretty wide angle lens (Something like a 210mm).
    And I was wondering if there's any idea to make the back curved? Would there be any benefits doing this (E.g. reduced light falloff?)?

The plan was to 3D print most of it, including the back. So making it curved is "not a problem".
    (Obviously it can't use a ground glass. So it has to be set at a hyperfocal distance and use some sort of framing tool to work out the composition. But I'd do the same if the back was flat.).

Thank you!

Re: Curved back for panoramic camera

You might find some inspiration here:

http://www.photonbox.com/aboutcameras.html

Wow, thanks!

Note that those are pinhole cameras. You can't use a fixed standard view camera lens to project a focused image on a curved plane - the only way to use it would be to construct a swing-lens mechanism exposing through a moving slit. That's probably more complex than you have in mind.

Foamer

I have a kodak panoram, c. 1909. Simple build. Google and see.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    That's probably more complex than you have in mind.
    Yes, that's about 100x more complex than what I had in mind. But if I can't use a fixed view lens to do this — That of solves it! Flat back it is.

This is complicated but straightforward.

https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/407437
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by zthee View Post
    Hello,

And I was wondering if there's any idea to make the back curved? Would there be any benefits doing this (E.g. reduced light falloff?)?

The plan was to 3D print most of it, including the back. So making it curved is "not a problem".
    (Obviously it can't use a ground glass.)
    Thank you!
    Paradoxically, you're mistaken where you think you're right (that the film back could be curved) and mistaken even where you think you're wrong (that you could not use a curved gg).
    In fact, it could be good for you if you started with the curved gg first to see the reality of the first mistake.
    Yes you can make a curved gg, very easily, with several methods. You could make a curved gg of curved plexiglass - either by grounding it after its bending or by coating it with a frosted tape in its curved shape. Making it and trying to focus on it would quickly let you discover your first mistake (that you can focus a lens image on a curved gg).

But more generally - if you want to construct a camera you simply and firstly need to acquire a certain amount of knowledge in optics (not to mention mechanics and engineering). Like that you can avoid many mistakes and dreamed constructions corrected by answers from others. Unfortunately, cameras are more than just light tight boxes with a film on one side and a lens on the other side.

Pfsor — Thanks for the answer! Bent plexi is a great idea! As for the rest — I think that, like with a lot of applications: The reason why they're done a certain way is because it's probably the "best" (That is best in time/complexity/result etc. I would like to shorten it down to cost vs benefits, but it's a bit too easy, but that's sort of the sentiment..). If making a curved back would solve optical problems then it would be more common to have cameras with curved backs. But since we don't, it's probably not that efficient. However — That doesn't hinder some random dude (Me) on the internet to try to pursue it. I think knowledge is earned by making mistakes and trying stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    You might find some inspiration here:

http://www.photonbox.com/aboutcameras.html
    Total gold information, Oren ... plus a contribution to GAS.