Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Any such thing as an Arca Swiss riser plate?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    127

    Any such thing as an Arca Swiss riser plate?

    Hey all.

    I just got a geared head for use with my 8x10. Unfortunately, the base of the camera is too wide to allow me to get the tripod plate onto the head because it hits the tilt up/down knob. I'm able to get it on there ok if I rotate the plate 90 degrees and use the left/right tilt as my up/down but I'd rather not have to do that.
    Is there any such thing as an Arca Swiss plate or accessory that sits up about an inch higher from the tripod head? My searching has turned up nothing except some videography accessories that aren't quite right.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    120

    Re: Any such thing as an Arca Swiss riser plate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Punker View Post
    Hey all.

    I just got a geared head for use with my 8x10. Unfortunately, the base of the camera is too wide to allow me to get the tripod plate onto the head because it hits the tilt up/down knob. I'm able to get it on there ok if I rotate the plate 90 degrees and use the left/right tilt as my up/down but I'd rather not have to do that.
    Is there any such thing as an Arca Swiss plate or accessory that sits up about an inch higher from the tripod head? My searching has turned up nothing except some videography accessories that aren't quite right.
    Perhaps something like this from Really Right Stuff: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/CRS-Cable-Relief-Spacer?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    77

    Re: Any such thing as an Arca Swiss riser plate?

    Can't you just turn the camera 90 degree using the top panning of the head? Can you maybe take a photo of your current set up?

  4. #4
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,192

    Re: Any such thing as an Arca Swiss riser plate?

    What head is it?

    This raises a Manfrotto head an inch.

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=Y
    sin eater

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA, USA
    Posts
    324

    Re: Any such thing as an Arca Swiss riser plate?

    Acratech makes a spacer https://www.acratech.net/search.php?...spacer&x=0&y=0
    I have an old Linhof 1/4 to 3/8 adapter which is similar. It came with a camera and had been used to keep the tilt strap of the head(similar to https://www.ebay.com/itm/LINHOF-PANO...!-1:rk:13:pf:0) from hitting the legs of the tripod.

    Good luck,
    jeff

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA, USA
    Posts
    324

    Re: Any such thing as an Arca Swiss riser plate?

    You could also consider using a panning clamp if the panning function will add any value
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunwayfoto-...30T5:rk:8:pf:0

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    127

    Re: Any such thing as an Arca Swiss riser plate?

    Quote Originally Posted by minh0204 View Post
    Can't you just turn the camera 90 degree using the top panning of the head? Can you maybe take a photo of your current set up?
    Yeah that's the only thing that's worked. The bottom of the camera still rubs on the knob. Just trying to find figure out if there's a way to avoid it so I don't damage the knob with the weight of the camera.

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    What head is it?

    This raises a Manfrotto head an inch.

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=Y
    That might work! I don't need to raise the head an inch; just the camera. But if I can screw that onto the normal Arca Swiss plate and the riser onto the camera, it just might work. Might be a difference in thread sizes though. If this is for a head then it's probably 3/8ths. Maybe it has a 1/4-20 screw underneath.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    133

    Re: Any such thing as an Arca Swiss riser plate?

    This lens support has an Arca compatible riser that may be a solution. Not that you need the rest of the system, but....

    https://www.amazon.com/FOTGA-Telepho.../dp/B07DDFY3DZ

    Good luck


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    127

    Re: Any such thing as an Arca Swiss riser plate?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmontague View Post
    This lens support has an Arca compatible riser that may be a solution. Not that you need the rest of the system, but....

    https://www.amazon.com/FOTGA-Telepho.../dp/B07DDFY3DZ

    Good luck


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thatís awesome! Might be the sacrifice I have to make to get it to work. Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Forest Grove, Ore.
    Posts
    3,696

    Re: Any such thing as an Arca Swiss riser plate?

    A photo of your camera might be helpful, to see what you're dealing with. Are you using a bench?

Similar Threads

  1. Largest Arca-Swiss Plate
    By Blumine in forum Gear
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 20-Nov-2009, 14:51
  2. Arca Swiss Plate Screw
    By Michael Kadillak in forum Gear
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 3-Mar-2001, 10:05
  3. Arca-Swiss style Q/R plate for my A-S 4x5
    By Josh Root in forum Gear
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-Oct-1999, 21:15

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •