Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyo 45AII for wide-angle use?

Toyo 45AII for wide-angle use?

Hi all,
    I'm considering the Toyo 45AII, because I need a fairly rigid body (in addition to a good tripod) for long exposure architectural photography.

I've got a 75mm lens (schneider) so far.

I'd like to know if I can use the standard bellows with it, and how much raise/fall do I realistically get with such lens (I don't really need the other movements).

I'm also planning to buy a 50mm later on. Does anyone know how much movements would I get with it and if I need a special lens board or a different bellows?

Thank you,

Re: Toyo 45AII

Bellows aren't interchangeable. There are recessed lens boards, but I'm not sure that a 50mm would be all that easy to use. I have a Toyo AX, which isn't all that different than the 45A11. If it were me, I'd be thinking of an Toyo VX125 or an Arca f-line with a bag bellows, or similar, for your purpose.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

The issue with those is that they are either too expensive or too big. The 45AII is fairly compact; if I could just get, say, 10mm raise/fall with a 50mm lens, that would be perfect.

What 50mm lens, btw? I know of 47mm, 55mm....? Have you ever tried to use a lens on a small but deeply recessed lens board? It's no fun.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

If you're going to use very wide lenses with movements on 4x5, you'll want a camera with a bag bellows. Preferably a monorail camera- field cameras are at their limits in that application. I used a Zone VI field camera to shoot architecture commercially for some years (with a 75mm lens and a bag bellows). It did the job but things went much easier after I bought a used Sinar.

Which Sinar did you get?

Or a Cambo Wide, or similar. I agree with Mark. I have a whole bunch of Sinars, and my main landscape camera is a Toyo 45AX. I would never choose the Toyo over one of the Sinars for the application you're talking about. These, though, are bulkier than my earlier suggestions.

The Toyo does not have interchangeable bellows. Wista metal field cameras have them, though it can take some time to find them. The older Toyo D45M on a 6" rail with a bag bellows is only slightly larger and heavier and much more versatile than a field camera.

Kumar

This is about what a 45A is going to look like with a 50mm lens on the deepest recessed board that I've see, a 25mm. I don't have a 50mm len (or anything close to it) so I was just guessing at the bellows extension, around 6mm rise/fall was all the I could get.

Using any lens on a 25mm recessed board is going to be a chore, I would need a flashlight and magnifying glasses just to set the aperture

Steve Midgley

rpagliari, I bought a well-used Sinar Norma, for personal photography. (I don't shoot architecture professionally with a 4x5 any more-does anyone?)
    In your place I'd look for a Sinar F2 and replace the rail clamp with the more compact Norma part. Doesn't have to be a Sinar- there are several other brands that would do as well. Cambo, Horseman, Toyo, Arca-Swiss, Linhof all come to mind. But Sinars were popular (in the USA at least) so cameras and parts are easy to find. A budget alternative would be the Calumet CC-402 wide-angle camera- a real workhorse. Very wide-angle lenses on field cameras are a recipe for frustration.