Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help developing problems 8x10 - WITH PICTURES.

Re: help developing problems 8x10 - WITH PICTURES.

Quote Originally Posted by Clieben View Post
    Now that I think about it, even a day time test was a very thin negative.
    For LF, specially for 8x10, it's interesting controlling well your process.

I'd suggest you next books: Darkroom Cookbook , Beyond the Zone System, very cheap used.

I'd also suggest you practice with roll film, you will learn easier (and cheaper) to meter from bracketings. All this would help you to progress faster both in analog process and in LF.

IMHO mastering all that it's about learning some theory and practicing. The theory vs practice balance is a personal choice, but sure that learning well the basic theory helps the practical learning.

There's a lot going on here. I'll try to take it in order.

Exposure: your negatives look underexposed. If you made a 10 second exposure and didn't adjust for reciprocity failure, you'd have underexposed your negatives. Ilford has charts in their tech sheets with all the info you need. Do your homework. Also check your metering, film speed setting, etc.

Negative development: Use a standard developer with the manufacturer's recommended time for the film you are using for a starting point. Be careful and precise mixing chemicals. If you are not 100% familiar with the whole process from beginning to end and the specifics of the chemistry you are using, read up. Do make sure you fix properly.

Print development: 30-50 seconds is on the short side even for RC paper. Again read up... Your prints look underexposed and underdeveloped.

Here's a good and low-tech process check. Print a negative (make a test strip) so that the clear area on the negative is just barely distinguishable from maximum paper black (paper exposed to room light and developed for the proper time in properly-mixed fresh chemistry will give you a base line). Then, make a whole print of a negative at the exposure that gives you the black you want. This is a "proper proof." Evaluating it will tell you what's wrong with your process. No shadow detail in the print = underexposed negative. Not enough contrast in the print = underdeveloped negative. And vice-versa for both the above.

Bottom line: it seems you need to learn a bit more and become more familiar with the process in general and what you are trying to do in particular. It's not rocket science, but you do have to embrace the learning curve and pay your dues (and read the instructions...).

Best,

Doremus

These responses are incredible. I meant 30-50 seconds for developing the negative and I agree the water could've and should've been warmer. Will purchase the used books mentioned and run some specific tests before developing the next round of film. ... I think having accidentally burned the first two actual pieces of film black by thinking I could work in safelight (having been many years since in darkrooms), I was terrified to destroy any more photos "overprocessing." Better to have a light image than none at all. As recommended, a lot of careful testing / approach is in order.

These responses are all very clear and amazing. Unexpected. Thank you all... over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by HoodedOne View Post
    The Massive Dev app says 14 min.
    Are you both referring to negative or print? The negative is definitely very thin. Ty.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    30-50 seconds development time ? that's your problem there. I don't shoot Ilford, but would imagine Rodinal at 1:50, dev time shld be somewhere around 10 minutes or so (probably more ?).
    Negative or print? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    I haven't developed a print in the dark room yet, but the fixer seems to be for paper, not film. Does anyone know if it will have the same effect? Maybe the instructions he has is for developing prints, not negative.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Think about this all the time, reading your signature on these boards.

The most important thing I think is the failure in developing the negative... possibly the reciprocity failure, noone mentioned I'm using the wrong chemicals so I suppose they are good. Will be purchasing the books and some negative film solely to learn.

Are you both referring to negative or print? The negative is definitely very thin. Ty.
    It's the time for developing a Ilford Delta 100 negative in Rodinal/R09 1+50

https://digitaltruth.com/devchart.ph...=C&TimeUnits=D

possibly the reciprocity failure, noone mentioned I'm using the wrong
    No much reciprocity failure in your case, but remember that Rodinal is not a full speed developer, you have an speed loss of 1/3 to 2/3 stop.

Perhaps it's better to start with D-76 or Xtol, because you have full box speed and some compensating effect. Then in the future you may try with other developers to find what you like. You may want the Rodinal character, but I'd I start with D-76 or Xtol, or with ilford equivalents, some are liquid and convenient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSvQh17SxkE

Read Horenstein on Basic Photography and learn to tell the difference in underexposure compared to underdevelopment. This will help a lot as you move forward.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.