Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help developing problems 8x10 - WITH PICTURES.

help developing problems 8x10 - WITH PICTURES.

Having developed first batch of 8x10s, shot on ILFORD 100, I have found some issues. Low contrast prints and thin negatives.

These were shot with a shattered lens, and of course that will affect the contrast as well as other properties, however I am convinced the issue lies in the development process, or perhaps using the 100 speed film in low light (reciprocity failure?).

Also of note the purple in the negative which is from too little fix?

I understand this can be fixed with multigrade paper and filters, FOR THIS ROUND, but I would like to not have this happen again.
    The future photos will not have been used on the broken lens but still that is not the reason for this overall 'gray low-con tone.'

Here are some pics of photos, neg, and developer + notes.

Any ideas / solutions? Thank you.

https://ibb.co/pK7hm0k

https://ibb.co/M7qSNfK

https://ibb.co/r2SQ8Wc
    https://ibb.co/TPS43pB
    https://ibb.co/Wkx6jf2
    Last edited by Clieben; 20-Feb-2019 at 03:06.

Re: help developing problems 8x10 - WITH PICTURES.

Note: these were 10 second exposures.

It doesn't say how long you developed in your notes. Likely the development time was too short. Also your measurement system for the developer (15ml to "3 cups") doesn't sound like something that is optimally consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    It doesn't say how long you developed in your notes. Likely the development time was too short. Also your measurement system for the developer (15ml to "3 cups") doesn't sound like something that is optimally consistent.
    Thank you-

Now that I think about it, even a day time test was a very thin negative. The measurements are because I use the small measuring glass and larger water measuring glass, bought from a local store... (I agree with you). Development IIRC was 30-50 seconds with light agitation from all four sides.

Huub

They look underdeveloped indeed. This could also be caused by not using enough developer or the developer being too cold. When using Rodinal you should at least use 8 ml of concentrate per sheet of 8x10. Also make sure the temperature is above 18 C and compensate the time from any deviation from 20 C.

Quote Originally Posted by Clieben View Post
    Development IIRC was 30-50 seconds with light agitation from all four sides.
    Is this development for paper or for a negative. Because for a negative it seems very short.
    When I develop 4x5 or 8x10 negatives, the development times are 6+ minutes. (rodinal/r09 1+50)

Also I do not totally agree with the remark Huub made. I use a Patterson Orbital for developing my 8x10 film. in the Orbital I use 120ml with constant agitation for 6 minutes, and only use 2.5 - 3 ml of r09. And that’s most of the time for dubble sided x-ray film. I do this at room temperature (approx. 19C), but I never check the temp. when developing.
    So the amount of developer needed, is depending on how you develop. With constant agitation you can use less.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

I haven't developed a print in the dark room yet, but the fixer seems to be for paper, not film. Does anyone know if it will have the same effect? Maybe the instructions he has is for developing prints, not negative.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

The fixer will do both film and prints. You should use different batches of working solution for each, however, and avoid using the film batch for the prints, and vice versa.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

30-50 seconds development time ? that's your problem there. I don't shoot Ilford, but would imagine Rodinal at 1:50, dev time shld be somewhere around 10 minutes or so (probably more ?).
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    30-50 seconds development time ? that's your problem there. I don't shoot Ilford, but would imagine Rodinal at 1:50, dev time shld be somewhere around 10 minutes or so (probably more ?).
    The Massive Dev app says 14 min.