Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tetenal to be closed - what next?

Tetenal to be closed - what next?

http://www.worldofphoto.com/meldung2.php?NID=30131857

This hits home for me as we were the distributor in the US for several decades. Although we did not supply their chemistry except in bulk for major labs.

But 172 years is a good run!

Re: Tetenal gone

Truly sad news, Bob.

I was under the impression that Tetenal was making chemicals for Kodak under license. If that is the case, then what's going to happen to Kodak's product line? Hopefully someone will take up the slack (or I'm wrong here).

Best,

Doremus

This was to be expected after earlier news some 6 weeks ago if I recall.

Tetenal has been producing for several brands I understand. I have no idea what will happen to their product lines; I expect we'll see some delivery issues popping up here and there in the following period. That'll make clear how involved in the photochemistry business they have actually been as a supplier. There could be a business opportunity for a nascent firm here, or for a brand that wants to do a bit of vertical integration in the supply chain such as Adox did with former Agfa assets.

Not familiar at all with Tetenal developers but was just planning on ordering some Tetenal Ultrafin Film Developer and some Tetenal Neofin Blue Film Developer from Freestyle to try them out.

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/13110...eloper-1-Liter
    https://www.freestylephoto.biz/13110...ncentrate-each

Does anyone have any experience with using either of these developers with Ilford FP-4 plus? I used Neofin? Blue back in the 1970s with excellent results... all be it with Super-XX (I date myself). Unfortunately my notes abbreviate the developer used with only the designation of "Blue".

thanks in advance

This is huge. So bad. I pray somehow it can be saved. This is where all our black and white chemistry comes from.

I just panic bought 5 packages of XTOL and 6 1 gal Kodak rapid fix w hardener. The XTOL that Tetenal makes is cleaner than the US made material.

It's probably worth quoting Adox's post from the Photrio thread on this:

ADOX is independant from Tetenal and will continue to offer the full range of b/w chemicals. We are also capable of manufacturing or refilling color chemistry in suitable kit sizes. This is a relatively small market and with Tetenal being our long standing partner for more than 25 years we have never done so. But if need is, we can start this and we can dsitribute all over Europe as you know. Letīs wait a little longer. The chemical business was just a part of TTīs activities and all we know at this point is that Tetenal as a whole will not continue.

Tetenal thread at Photrio

No doubt Kodak Alaris and Harman/Ilford have contingency plans as well.

I am sad to hear this, too. My first steps in the darkroom world were taken with TETENAL products, and they have accompanied me ever since. I am by no means an industry insider, but this reminds me of CALBE Fotochemie, which emerged as the photo chemistry part of the East German ORWO Kombinat and continued to produce the old lineup of b/w products. They are still in business (https://www.calbe-chemie.de/en/company/), but have shifted and diversified their production: "Due to deminishing of traditional analog photography we decided in 2002 to use the existing modern mixing facilities and botteling lines for manufacturing of alternative products. Long-term investments in 2003 and 2004 have been carried out according to this point of view. (...) Main product groups now are special cleaners, chemicals for pond & aquaria, industrial intermediates, pool products, ecological fertillizers and plant protection chemicals as well as chemicals for building and construction." They still make photo and x-ray chemicals and might be on the list of companies to step in and fill the demand. Also, this might be the fate/chance for the TETENAL facilities. Let's just hope that the TETENAL expertise and and experience don't get lost.

With companies like Photographer's Formulary, Sprint, and DIY options, I don't expect any disruption for B&W options. Have not needed any Kodak chemicals for several years.

"Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy