Thread: Greeting from Wisconsin

Enthusiast

Cool Greeting from Wisconsin

I am a recent (2 year) convert to camera collecting. Not having a big budget I have concentrated primarily on 35mm and other small format vintage cameras that I can buy on a budget. I have examples from Kodak, Ansco, Agfa, Pentax, Nikon, Minolta, Zorki, Wirgin, and a couple of oddballs that just appealed to me. I am fascinated by the creativity and innovation displayed by manufacturers over the history of photography.

As far as Large Format is concerned I have picked up two Newton New Vue 4x5 cameras and a number of lens and shutter combinations (mostly 20's and 30's Compur shutters) of varying sizes. The New Vue cameras were in pretty bad shape but I have been able to clean them up pretty well since they were made post war from pretty good quality materials.

One of the cameras lacked a back end and I am posting some photos of the new pieces I made to replace the missing parts. I based all dimensions off of the back end I do have but have not tested the camera yet for focus as I am currently out of town. Construction was a Baltic Birch turning with the other components made from a combination of Oak, Walnut, and I believe Zebra Wood. Hardware is Brass and Stainless Steel with brass springs and pins. Pop up viewer is from a Brand Camera manufactured on the same street in Los Angeles at the same time Newton was active (1947-195...). The assembly still lacks polish and finish but I thought I would post progress. I plan to eventually make an adaptor for digital on this camera.

I hope you enjoy the shots!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	187853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	187854Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	187855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	187852

Re: Greeting from Wisconsin

Welcome! I live in Fond du Lac.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hello and welcome from your Western neighbor on the bank of the Mississippi, just a bridge from wonderful Wisconsin.

Good work on the camera!

Enthusiast

Hi Peter. I am in Cedarburg! I used to play in bands long ago and played the Rathskeller in Fond du lac many times. I am originally from Beaver Dam and we used to go to the park with the locomotive all the time. Nice town.

Enthusiast

Greetings Winona. I have never spent time there but had friends in Albert Lea. Been there a bunch of times. We always say that anywhere in Minnesota is about 200 miles colder than home!