Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to adhere a LF film positive to paper or polyester support?

Re: How to adhere a LF film positive to paper or polyester support?

And BTW, I would prefer an archival solution, defined in this case by me as being able to eventually separate the print from the substrate if necessary.

But optically clear is very important, which appears to eliminate ordinary dry mount tissue.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Drew Wiley

Drymounting is unrealistic. Bob pegged the answer. What he classified as face-mounting adhesives also work on the backside of the film onto smooth substrates. They are designed for backlit display, so are fully transparent. They are non-removable and seem to be quite stable if properly applied. But the manufacturers of these religiously avoid the A-word (archival). This is not because they're trying to be tricky or deceptive or because the adhesive is deleterious. It's because the predominant use for these kinds of adhesives is for advertising displays which tend to get tortured in commercial environments, or even get used outdoors in the weather. So they realistically don't like making long-term promises. There are clear hermetic sealing options too, but these can be even trickier, and are certainly way more expensive. And yes, much of this is an acquired skill, and demonstrated in reference to someone buying an expensive piece of dedicated machinery. I don't really trust anyone when it comes to equipment, especially salesmen, so have tested all kinds of options myself to get to the truth. And I do have an answer or two, but don't know if it would help due to the highly specialized nature of the products and their special handling. 3M even has an entire small division for sake of art conservation usage which is not accessible to the public, either to protect that specific trade (just like its other more than forty sales divisions), or, as I've been told, due to the toxicity of some of the products requiring special training. I also know of aerospace product that might work, which I've tested; but it's quite expensive and has to be used fresh, if you can even find it. So I'd really tend to recommend learning how to apply double-faced transparent cold-mounting foils. It's the most logical avenue, even if a messy nightmare during the learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Drymounting is unrealistic. Bob pegged the answer.

So I'd really tend to recommend learning how to apply double-faced transparent cold-mounting foils. It's the most logical avenue, even if a messy nightmare during the learning curve.
    Drew,

Thank you very much for the expert advice. I guess my way forward is double-faced transparent cold-mounting foils, as the good Reverend Bob, and you, recommend.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 19-Feb-2019 at 21:45.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon