Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOS light leak

SOS light leak

Hi All !
    I got a good stock of dated 4x5 Tri-X and two holders from a friend of mine recently.
    Once developed both negatives from one holder have light leak at same place, near the notch.
    Another holder has no leaks. I developed all four negatives in the same tank using
    taco method. Looks like that holder has nothing to see with it - both leaks are at the
    same side of negatives. Both leaks go Under the flap and Under the rail, as if they were
    there before loading film... Bellows pinhole ? But another pair of negatives is ok. Also
    I used the same camera with Polaroid T55 recently without leaks...
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks,
    Igor

Re: SOS light leak

It could be the holder. Or it happen before the film was loaded in the holder. Pin hole in the box .
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

the odds of the same looking leak, on both sides of one holder are pretty astronomical. just to make sure I'm reading it correctly, the other sheet had the light leak on the notch side as well and looks identical to this picture ? if so, that would mean 2 leaks, on opposite sides (l-r), which would be very strange, esp if the leaks look identical. could happen but I can't imagine a holder prob that would have this result.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    the odds of the same looking leak, on both sides of one holder are pretty astronomical. just to make sure I'm reading it correctly, the other sheet had the light leak on the notch side as well and looks identical to this picture ? if so, that would mean 2 leaks, on opposite sides (l-r), which would be very strange, esp if the leaks look identical. could happen but I can't imagine a holder prob that would have this result.
    Yes Fred, you are reading correctly. I can't explain it, so thats the reason I'm asking here.
    Thanks,
    Igor.

If They are the same the light leak happen outside of the holder.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRitter View Post
    If They are the same the light leak happen outside of the holder.
    Richard, it is the first thing I thought about it. But film from other holder went out ok.
    I loaded and developed all four negatives the same time. Thats what I can't understand.
    Thanks,
    Igor.

If they are exactly the same it happened before or after you put the sheets in the holder so your camera is fine and your holder is fine as well. If one sheet has less density than the other it was beneath the other one. If you pulled all four sheets in a row off the stack of film and the other two are ok, then it probably happened when the two sheets were in a stack by themselves which means after you took them out of the holder. If you took the other two sheets off the other end of the stack then you might have more sheets that have the same mark still in the box.

Hope that helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
    If they are exactly the same it happened before or after you put the sheets in the holder so your camera is fine and your holder is fine as well. If one sheet has less density than the other it was beneath the other one. If you pulled all four sheets in a row off the stack of film and the other two are ok, then it probably happened when the two sheets were in a stack by themselves which means after you took them out of the holder. If you took the other two sheets off the other end of the stack then you might have more sheets that have the same mark still in the box.

Hope that helps you.
    Sounds logical. I'm not sure I took all 4 sheets in a row... Also leak at other neg has less density, so maybe you are right.
    Will try another box of film this weekend. Thanks !
    Igor.

Here is a little know astronomical angle. We are constantly bombarded by high energy particles that are magnetic field keeps out. Some particles though can get thru. Neutrinos, xrays, gamma rays, etc. Since we use film, those passing thrunparticles can interact with the film. Now I am not saying that is the case here, but once all rational explanations are ruled out, the impossible or in this case highly remote case is the probable cause.

The odds of being hit by a gamma ray, or neutrino are literally astronomical. Possible but unlikely. Unless you are in a nuclear weapons plant or a nuclear reactor. And still need to be near a proper source.