Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: recommended 4x5 or 5x7 for portrait project?

Re: recommended 4x5 or 5x7 for portrait project?

4x5 contact prints are rather small by today's standards, but 4x5 negatives or transparencies may prove more useful to you in the future. If your subjects want larger prints, the smaller negatives or transparencies can be scanned, and you or the subject can have them duplicated or printed in whatever size is desired. Also, the digital images can be spread among friends and relatives more easily than the prints. 4x5 cameras, lenses, and film holders are plentiful and fairly inexpensive. If you eventually have darkroom space for an enlarger, 4x5 enlargers are more practical than larger sizes.

5x7 B&W is certainly an option. Many old wooden 4x5 cameras share the same body as 5x7 cameras so depending on what you find, all you may need is a second back to cover both formats.
    A Rembrandt, as another poster suggested, is made for portraiture and show up from time to time.
    Affordable 5x7 film holders are a bit of a hassle to find, but they are out there.
    Have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Since you don't have an enlarger, I'd go for shooting Whole Plate (6.5x8.5"). For me it is the smallest format that I contact print. They come up FS every now and then and for very reasonable prices, I think mainly because so few people use this format so the demand is low. Film can be special ordered from Ilford come the spring, or you can cut X-Ray film under a red safelight in the meantime. Holders for this format I've seen going for less that 5x7s. As for the ideal lens focal length, maybe someone else can join in... I don't shoot portraits, but I've always yearned to acquire a 10" or 14" Burke & James REMBRANT SUPER-PORTRAIT lens. From my B&J catalog: "Modified Darlot-Petzval Formula" I've seen them go for way less than vintage brass Petzval optics with a name brand.

5x7 is great for a 4x5 camera that also does 5x7. Transparency isn't that great for portraits as it tends to be higher contrast and not made for skin tones. B&W can be awesome. I suppose anything is possible with perfect exposure and gentle illumination. A 250mm-ish tessar will be great for portraits on 4x5 or 5x7, look for the 4.5 aperture. Something 1960's or newer with X sync will let you use electronics flash. I'd suggest a Fujinar 25cm in shutter or a xenar 240mm. Triplets are great too but are often without shutter.

I think your idea of finding a 5x7 camera with a 5x7 back and a 4x5 reducing back is right on. I found the step up to 4x5 to 5x7 to be a minor one, but the next jump to 8x10 is major. Big jump in equipment size and portability and also in space needed for processing negatives, etc.

It will be a great way to test the waters. If you get a decent deal, you should be able to re-sell it with no or little loss if you want to upgrade for specialty work or go a different direction.
    Learning the basics with 4x5, with the option to step up to 5x7 at any time sounds like a plan. If you can find a camera with front tilt, so much the better, but I have been using a 100+ year-old 5x7 Eastman View No.2 a bunch lately and it works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EV2_5x7a.jpg   5x7.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks for all the advice. We have a collection of portraits of various sizes on display in our house from 3x5 to 11x14. The most pleasing size to my taste are the 5x7 size. I see the advantages of 4x5 for portability, more available lenses, more film stocks, lower cost etc. I may end up getting both 4x5 and 5x7. I may start with a crown graphic or busch pressman and see if I can find a decent 5x7 later. I'll be watching the for sale ads, KEH and the bay to see what is available in good condition. Thanks for your help.

Might consider a monorail with interchangeable parts like a Sinar Norma which can be easily format changed by sliding off the rear standard and bellows for the format of interest which can be 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 or roll film with the 4x5 back. Add to this no real limits on bellows draw, very short focal length lenses can be used with not too much difficult, Sinar shutter, a variety of lens shades and filter holders compatibility over most of the Sinar system old and new. Sinar P is really a studio camera, the Norma works for both semi-outdoor or studio similar applies to the Sinar F and Sinar Alpine which is 4x5 only.

As for lens choices, 5x7 is equal if not in some ways better than 4x5. Some lens shopping, study and research will prove this to be true.
    Beyond camera and lens and film which is really only the starting point, consider film processing, processed film storage, how prints will be made and finished.

One notable portrait photographer who used 5x7 and Kodak Ektar lenses almost exclusively for portrait work is Phillip Stewart Charis.
    http://www.phillipstewartcharis.com/home.html

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Haning View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. We have a collection of portraits of various sizes on display in our house from 3x5 to 11x14. The most pleasing size to my taste are the 5x7 size. I see the advantages of 4x5 for portability, more available lenses, more film stocks, lower cost etc. I may end up getting both 4x5 and 5x7. I may start with a crown graphic or busch pressman and see if I can find a decent 5x7 later. I'll be watching the for sale ads, KEH and the bay to see what is available in good condition. Thanks for your help.

I thought I'd give you all a quick update. I posted a WTB ad here on the forum and got a good deal on nice gray Ansco 5x7 with 5x7 and 4x5 backs. The lens is a 210mm/310mm f5.6/f12 Steinheil Quinon in a Ilex Universal #4 shutter. I can't wait to get out and try it out. Thanks for the advice.

Les

I was thinking exactly of that while thumbing through this thread. Yes, wow, 5x7 + 4x5 back.....very cool. Good luck.

Les

Great news. The 210 will be dandy for 4x5 and you should be able to turn up something inexpensive in the 240 to 300 range for 5x7 portraits. The Ansco is nothing fancy, but everything you need. Much better than spending almost as much for a press camera that you would have needed to upgrade.