Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: recommended 4x5 or 5x7 for portrait project?

Re: recommended 4x5 or 5x7 for portrait project?

John makes a very good suggestion. I have used 5X7 sliders with a Packard shutter.

It is the fastest way to shoot 2 LF portraits. One 'trick' is to tell the sitter, get ready I am shooting ONE pic now. Do that, but move the slide quickly pump the Packard air bulb twice and bingo you have captured the usually better facial expression in the second image.

Nothing is faster, in under a second you have 2 images. Works with almost any lighting, strobes, hot lights and window.

Many studio cameras used sliders from 2x3 to 8X10 and few want them now, so they are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    Hello Ben Haning
    Sounds like a lot of fun. I'd skip 4x5 and 8x10 and get something like a Rembrandt Portrait Camera with a split 5x7 back ( there is one for sale on the yard sale right now ). 5x7 and split 5x7 ( 4x5 ) are ideal formats for portraits, and the lenses can be similar if not the same as 4x5. They have a packard shutter too, so if you want to use an inexpensive barrel lens ( without a shutter ) you won't have trouble. Good luck getting the film processed if you go the ChromeRoute, you might have to file for Chapter 11 after you get it all processed !

Good Luck !
    Tin Can

Silders are good

If an assistant is available to work with the Portraitist, the assistant can operate the camera, slider, film holder dark slide for the Portraitist. This way the Portraitist can focus on working with the Sitter and not be distracted by operating the camera. Ideally, there is a emotional-expressive connection between Sitter and Portraitist to promote a sitter's expression to be retained on film.

Stores of George Hurrell making funny and varied gestures to get the desired expression out of their Hollywood portrait sitters were many. IMO, making that connection between Sitter and Portraitist is core to expressive Portraiture.

Bernice

Hi guys! I am also new to the large format. I have only got experience with 35mm. However, I have already started working with some larger formats, and I can tell you that vintage 5x7 with an other 4x5 back is not good at all. Especially the old Ansco is probably the worst for this job. The Kodak is not that bad. However, I cannot call it great. I have started to work with larger formats as I want to create some animal wall art, like pet portraits and some other things. I want to fill my entire house with pet portraits.
    Last edited by DanteALG; 9-Aug-2021 at 09:51.

Quote Originally Posted by DanteALG View Post
    Hi guys! I am also new to the large format. I have only got experience with 35mm. However, I have already started working with some larger formats, and I can tell you that vintage 5x7 with an additional 4x5 back is not good at all. Especially the old Ansco is probably the worst for this job.
    Why?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I wish I bought that camera

Hi guys! I am also new to the large format. I have only got experience with 35mm. However, I have already started working with some larger formats, and I can tell you that vintage 5x7 with an additional 4x5 back is not good at all. Especially the old Ansco is probably the worst for this job.
    Tin Can

iI can't imagine why. Sure the 5x7 frame is bulkier than you need but if its studio work, bulk or weight shouldn't matter that much. One of my earliest cameras was a 5x7 Burk and James with a 4x5 reducing back. Worked for me. One positive thing about that rig was the extra long bellows extension available compared to a compact 4x5 camera.

Anyway, my preference for portraiture would be an less expensive 8x10. The Kodak 2D cameras have only front rise/fall on the front standard because they were often used as a production portrait camera in a studio. Today they are not overly expensive and work well for portraiture in a studio setting.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!