Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the screw size for the Lee Filters holder?

Re: What is the screw size for the Lee Filters holder?

Alright, a quick update. Today I spoke over the phone (thank you @Heroique for the tip) with the Lee Filters rep. He said and I quote, "nobody knows what size they are, it's a special size and you can get replacements of different screw lengths from BH or other stores".

This brings me back to my original claim that they made it as a custom size so (probably) they don't get their design copied.
    I made on the lathe a couple screws in that ballpark, both imperial and ISO and none fit smoothly. Though they were tested for correct fit.

For the brass inserts, the only screw that came close was the imperial 2-56. It goes in nice about 4 turns max, then the brass starts squealing. Luckily there are not many turns in the insert so a steel screw can deform the brass and now you got a standard thread. It's really close but no cigar. An M2 threads in nicely (feels like that's the pitch) but the thread play is a bit too much and I'm sure once you put some load on those threads, it'll slip.

When I have the proper time to experiment with this, I'll cut more screws on the lathe with the size of a 2-56 and different pitches and see what happens.

@Sfroza the major diameter averages at 2.14mm though it's biased towards 2.10mm. The pitch gages didn't give definitive answers unfortunately...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Darragh View Post
    Try 2.2 x 0.45 Metric Course.
    I tried that size too and it’s also not a fit :-(
    Parallel parking extraordinaire

I'll keep looking. Although it is possible to create any thread form you desire the cost for tooling is not cost effective. They are charging close to nothing for replacement screws. Less than a dollar each.

Michael

See if you can find a #2-64 it is a bit of an of oddball but not to far from the 2-56. That will explain the lock up of the 2-56 in the insert as you run it in.
    Last edited by Sfroza; 13-Feb-2019 at 20:45. Reason: Add comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfroza View Post
    I'll keep looking. Although it is possible to create any thread form you desire the cost for tooling is not cost effective. They are charging close to nothing for replacement screws. Less than a dollar each.

Michael

See if you can find a #2-64 it is a bit of an of oddball but not to far from the 2-56. That will explain the lock up of the 2-56 in the insert as you run it in.

That’s a great point. Tooling is really expensive and starts making sense only in high volumes.

I’ll look for a 2-64, see if that’s a good fit. It crosses my mind to just run a 2–56 tap through all the inserts and be done with it. I just wanted to make it as stock as possible. Though it’s just a filter holder, what difference does it make?!

It can make several hundred dollars of difference. Why not just order the screws/kit for the filter holder? They are dirt cheap to get one or even several. I did that with my Formatt-Hitech filter holder. Lee would have the same. Cheaper to do it right than to modify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    It can make several hundred dollars of difference. Why not just order the screws/kit for the filter holder? They are dirt cheap to get one or even several. I did that with my Formatt-Hitech filter holder. Lee would have the same. Cheaper to do it right than to modify it.
    It’s not the screws I’m interested in, but the metal inserts from the filter holder. The inserts are not available anywhere because the holder is not serviceable.

Ahh, then oversize and tap to a standard size.