Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copal Shutters Interchangeable?

Re: Copal Shutters Interchangeable?

The best situation would be if the shutter was from a 90mm f5.6 lens. With the shutter blades open, hold the lens at arm's length, looking straight at the front side. Close the aperture slowly until you just see the aperture blades appear. Look at the reading on the scale - if you're close to the f9 mark, then you can probably use the scale as is. If not, you'll have to either get the right scales or make a sticker as pepeguitarra suggested.

One last thought... for review, this is a Super Angulon f8 #13274037 mounted in the latest version of a Copal 0, but with widest aperture at 5.6. And the Copal had a Rodenstock Quality Seal on it.

OK. I noticed the aperture scale has a series of minuscule digits: 0011.067. This may be a part number linking the Copal to it's original Rodenstock lens... whatever that was?

Bob, if that's the case and based on this number, have any idea what the originating Rodenstock lens this may have been. The 3 digit code for the 120mm Macro, 135mm and the 150mm Copal 0 5.6 variants are different.

Kumar: thanks for the excellent link and info, but the calculations and procedures are well beyond my meager mental capacities. I'm just a very old man with a brain hard-wired to art and little else at this point.

JimL. Thanks. Just checked. As I slowly move the aperture blades from 5.6 toward smaller apertures, I don't see any blades until the adjustment pointer gets to the f8 indicator. Then the polygonal shape begins to emerge.

So, what does this mean? Thanks!

f/8 of the lens is right at the point where the aperture blades just begin to appear. After that you can either follow the instructions in the post I linked to, or sacrifice a test roll to see if the other markings are within your tolerance limits.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by salfavata View Post
    One last thought... for review, this is a Super Angulon f8 #13274037 mounted in the latest version of a Copal 0, but with widest aperture at 5.6. And the Copal had a Rodenstock Quality Seal on it.

OK. I noticed the aperture scale has a series of minuscule digits: 0011.067. This may be a part number linking the Copal to it's original Rodenstock lens... whatever that was?

Bob, if that's the case and based on this number, have any idea what the originating Rodenstock lens this may have been. The 3 digit code for the 120mm Macro, 135mm and the 150mm Copal 0 5.6 variants are different.

Kumar: thanks for the excellent link and info, but the calculations and procedures are well beyond my meager mental capacities. I'm just a very old man with a brain hard-wired to art and little else at this point.
    No, but you are in the EU as is Linos. Just call their service center and ask them.

Thanks, Bob... but I don't know what "Linos" is. Can you give me a bit more to go on? Many thanks.

Thanks, Bob... but I don't know what "Linos" is. Can you give me a bit more to go on? Many thanks.
    Rodenstock Precision Optical is a division of Linos and both are owned by Qioptiq. Just do a google search. They are in Germany. You do not want the Russian site.

Thanks everyone. After comparing many pics for Rodenstock Copal 0 lenses on ebay, I finally determined this shutter came from a 135mm Sironar-N. The minuscule "code" matches exactly as do shutter/aperture indicators on both sides of the Copals.

The shutter/aperture indicators on a SA 90mm f8 Copal 0 are substantially different, so impossible to expose film correctly with this mismatched Copal 0. I'll put the topic to rest. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone. After comparing many pics for Rodenstock Copal 0 lenses on ebay, I finally determined this shutter came from a 135mm Sironar-N. The minuscule "code" matches exactly as do shutter/aperture indicators on both sides of the Copals.

The shutter/aperture indicators on a SA 90mm f8 Copal 0 are substantially different, so impossible to expose film correctly with this mismatched Copal 0. I'll put the topic to rest. Thanks again.
    Same scale on the Apo Sironar N and Apo Sironar S 150mm also.
    But you could contact Schneider in Bad Kreuznach and see if you can just buy the proper set of scales.