Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to achieve focus

Unable to achieve focus

Hi
    I am using a Chamonix 8x10 along with my Kowa Graphic 350mm lens. I was attempting to shoot a close up of a white rose but it didn't matter how far i extended the bellows I could not achieve focus,,,,,,,,I was trying to fill the frame with a rose that was about 2 inches x 2 inches.
    What am I doing wrong?

Neil
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Re: Unable to achieve focus

Way too much lens.. Use a shorter wider angle lens, and with the bellows factor for a close up it won't be a short lens.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Way too much lens.. Use a shorter wider angle lens, and with the bellows factor for a close up it won't be a short lens.
    Unfortunately its the only 8x10 lens that I have.
    Neil

You just need some practice: With dim ambient light, place a table near a wall, place a lamp on the table, with the lens in your hand practice with projecting the sharp image of the lamp on the wall. You will find the working distances, lens to object vs lens to wall.

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    Hi
    I am using a Chamonix 8x10 along with my Kowa Graphic 350mm lens. I was attempting to shoot a close up of a white rose but it didn't matter how far i extended the bellows I could not achieve focus,,,,,,,,I was trying to fill the frame with a rose that was about 2 inches x 2 inches.
    What am I doing wrong?

Neil
    Doing before thinking. That's what you're doing wrong.

Lessee now. 2x2 expanded to fill 8x10. Image four times as large as the subject. Extension needed, 5 focal lengths. What extension did you have? You need 1.75 m. Subject to front node distance, 1.25 focal lengths. How far was the subject from the shutter? You need approximately 450 mm. What did you have? Film to subject, 6.25 focal lengths. Same questions.

The general rule for focusing close up is to set extension to obtain the magnification desired, then move camera/lens assembly to focus.

Once I tried macro with a 210mm on my 4x5 and could not focus... I ended up with decent photos using a 75mm lens on it and was still further back from the subject than most DSLRs with a macro lens. It didn't look wide like a 75mm did since the bellows extension and subject distance from the camera made it look fairly normal. If you have any MF/LF enlarger lenses you could try them backwards.

I have the Chamonix extension board that adds about 250mm so all up about 750mm max. I will try extending to about 730mm then move the camera in until I am close then fine tune with the extra 20mm.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Once I tried macro with a 210mm on my 4x5 and could not focus... I ended up with decent photos using a 75mm lens on it and was still further back from the subject than most DSLRs with a macro lens. It didn't look wide like a 75mm did since the bellows extension and subject distance from the camera made it look fairly normal. If you have any MF/LF enlarger lenses you could try them backwards.
    I also have the Chamonix 4x5 and more lenses 120, 210, 600mm and that's it. The problem is I want to shoot 8x10 so I will persevere with the 350mm lens and see how I get on

Neil

I have the Chamonix extension board that adds about 250mm so all up about 750mm max. I will try extending to about 730mm then move the camera in until I am close then fine tune with the extra 20mm.

Neil
    That will get you to a little over 1:1. If that's what you want, great. But if you want to more or less fill the 8x10 frame with a two inch square subject you're going to have add extension or use a shorter lens.

The list contains discussions of books on closeup and photomacrography. Buy a copy of Lefkowitz and study it.

Lachlan 717

I also have the Chamonix 4x5 and more lenses 120, 210, 600mm and that's it. The problem is I want to shoot 8x10 so I will persevere with the 350mm lens and see how I get on

Neil
    Try it with the 120mm. Coverage increases with extension, so there’s a good chance that it will easily cover the format.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky