Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Using electronic flash with LF cameras

Re: Using eletronic flash with LF cameras

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    QUOTE=Pere Casals;1483086] So, I should be able to get some 'exposure' on the paper negative BUT I'm getting absolutely nothing.
    hmmm.... perhaps the synchronization is wrong. If you set the "M" position then the flash fires 20ms before the shutters opens. Use X position. M position was for antique gear needing to ignite the flash 20ms before exposure to allow the light source to reach peak power before the shutter openned, if not the the light was weak, but in M position a modern flash throws all its power sin (say) 1ms, then shutters delays its aperture 19 milliseconds, and then the shutter opens capturing darkness. So check you have set X position.

Also do this, use darkroom safe lights, always open. Close lights "white" lights in the darkroom, now you see with the safe light...

Open shutter like if you were focusing, fire manually the flash, close shutter, and open lights. In this way you don't relly in sinchronization, so you will have a diagnostic.

I guess you are used to make paper negatives without flash, if not ensure you get good exposures with contiunous light before. Compare the images taken with a DSLR with flash vs continuous to stablish flash exposure.

Tony, this is about making key tests to have a diagnostic about what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Can you be putting the paper in the dark slide backwards?
    Bill,
    Possibly once but not several times - even so should get some 'impression'.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    hmmm.... perhaps the synchronization is wrong. Also do this, use darkroom safe lights, always open. Close lights "white" lights in the darkroom, now you see with the safe light... I guess you are used to make paper negatives without flash,...
    Pere,
    Sunch checked when shutter cla'd last year. Set on 'x' as default.
    Have used the flash with 'B' setting and firing via the 'Test' button whilst the shutter was open in a very dark room [I assumed Test means full power]. All to no avail.
    Paper negatives exposed in 'daylight' without flash all turned out okay - except when I inadvertently used a red filter!!!!
    Both flash guns work okay with film.
    All flash exposures done on the 'x' setting - the computer controlled exposure never chosen

Diagnostics infer electronic flash is not compatible with paper negatives in my setup.

Yet in a private message Emil Schildt states "This [paper negative portrait] is actually with the use of flash - with soft box attached - it works really well"

????????????
    regards
    Tony

????????????
    Shot the flash to the paper and develop to see....

Is your developer good?

Agreed with both of you. But I'm trying to understand why my electronic flash guns do not expose paper negatives in my LF camera.
    The flash guns have GNs of 30 & 46 (metric @ ISO100) I've corrected those values to suit ISO6 and have checked and tripled checked lens speed, aperture, pc-cable, lens filter [not being red], distance to object, dark slide out, lens cocked etc etc but all I get is unexposed sheets irrespective of which flash gun I use.

regards
    Tony
    I would think you need a lot more flash power, at a minimum 4000WS out of a 5" reflector (150,000 BCPS), giving a guide number of about 350 with that slow emulsion. This is line with what photographers I know are using to expose wet plate with electronic flash. If you want light modifiers, even more power is needed. Your flash guns may not even be reaching the paper's threshold exposure. Try multiple pops and see if you can bring up some tone. See Norman chart below.[Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FlashGuide.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	187564
    Attached Files Attached Files

Excellent fundamental requisite. I look forward to the outcome.

And do that at different distances from the paper - you will have your answer about the necessary flash power right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    And do that at different distances from the paper - you will have your answer about the necessary flash power right away.
    ...or with a stouffer wedge on the paper...

...or with a stouffer wedge on the paper...
    He could even use just a flash exposure meter, even quicker than meddling with the paper processing.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    I would think you need a lot more flash power, at a minimum 4000WS out of a 5" reflector (150,000 BCPS), giving a guide number of about 350 with that slow emulsion. Try multiple pops and see if you can bring up some tone.]
    Going from your/the nonograph I don't see 150,000 BCPS - more likely a tenth or less than that. However I agree with your prognosis

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    He could even use just a flash exposure meter, even quicker than meddling with the paper processing.
    Unfortunately I do not have a flash exposure meter

I guess I need to do some trials

regards

Tony
    Last edited by tonyowen; 11-Feb-2019 at 04:06. Reason: typo 50k instad of 150k