Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought the first component for eliminating dust on scanned negatives

Re: Just bought the first component for eliminating dust on scanned negatives

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Steven your air compressor looks very similar to my smaller one that is Made in Taiwan. Is yours?

I look for Made in Taiwan as I believe they manufacture high quality products.

Yesterday I scanned films with obvious skin flakes, today I kept my long sleeve shirt on and saw none.

Anecdotal...
    Just says foreign made. Doesn’t say where. Had to get from websites not on compressor itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I remember when Swamp Coolers in the basin still worked before the golf course expansion

Heck we golfed on sand in MN, then many from MN moved to Scottsdale...

We had swamp coolers back in the day. If you left your crackers out they turned to soup.

If you're looking for more allergy and dust removal options, I'd suggest a central vac. It obviously removes dust and dirt and does not recycle that same dirty air back into your living area.

Quick shot of compressor on counter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0A54FB4B-02F1-493F-A668-557A64B3D8F2.jpg  

I looked it up from Drew's recommendation
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

I had some input into that model. After Thomas Industries tanked (scuse the pun) in the US, and stopped putting their compressors pumps on portable tanks, I asked Rol-Air to come up with something equivalent - quiet, dual-piston, low RPM, low startup surge. I had used them in the past, and their primary line of portable construction compressors originated at my request, and was prototyped in our own shop a long time ago, around the late 70's. But it was not deemed feasible for them to be cost effective making a whole new pump series from scratch. So they found a factory overseas who had a head start on the same idea, and got it tweaked into JC10 fashion. But equivalent units are being imported and sold under several different brand names here in the US. They're made in China. Makita compressors are made in Taiwan, but have had quality control issues due to lack of individual testing prior to shipment. Rol Air pressure tests every single compressor they themselves make. This can have unintended consequences. I once had a furious phone call from a contractor way up at Lake Tahoe four hours from here, who complained that his new Rol Air wouldn't start when he plugged it in and flipped on the switch. I thought about it a moment, then asked him to check the tank gauge. Sure enough, it still held 120PSI from the factory pressure test, so wasn't supposed to go on until some air was let out. That placated him. But they don't pressure-test import units here. So then it just becomes a matter of statistical warranty issues. The only problem I've ever had with JC-10's is a couple of them had a grease clog in a little odd solenoid valve, which can be user corrected via phone call instructions to the Rol Air service dept. My own Service Dept recently closed due to all the old-timer retirements, or sadly,deaths; but at least they're willing to truck things down the freeway on regular lumber delivery runs to the Makita Service Center in Hayward, which does repair other brands than their own. In the meantime, I've done some repairs in my own shop for neighbor contractors, but certainly don't intend to expand that kind of favor. I generally get paid back in other useful tools, horse-trade style.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    If you're looking for more allergy and dust removal options, I'd suggest a central vac. It obviously removes dust and dirt and does not recycle that same dirty air back into your living area.
    Interestingly, when we moved into our home here in NJ 5 years ago, it had a central vac. Really great. I also got rid of all carpets and about half our furniture is leather, not clothe. Also have no curtains. The dust is really very little here compared to what I put up with all my life living in NYC. The house here is also pretty air proof and I use the maximum rated air filters in my ducted heating and air conditioning system and change them every three months. Steve, dust mites are tiny tick like bugs that mainly eat the dead skin that falls off humans. They actually float around the room on the dead skin. They're usually found in pillows, bedding and in couches and carpets. You can buy mite protected covers for mattresses and pillows that blocks them from getting through. Vacuuming and washing carpets and couch pillows etc helps, but not having them is better.

All these things are also good for film processing although I do that through an outside lab. But when I scan, I still have to spot out the dust in post processing. Comes with the turf. But it's really not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I had some input into that model. After Thomas Industries tanked (scuse the pun) in the US, and stopped putting their compressors pumps on portable tanks, I asked Rol-Air to come up with something equivalent - quiet, dual-piston, low RPM, low startup surge. I had used them in the past, and their primary line of portable construction compressors originated at my request, and was prototyped in our own shop a long time ago, around the late 70's. But it was not deemed feasible for them to be cost effective making a whole new pump series from scratch. So they found a factory overseas who had a head start on the same idea, and got it tweaked into JC10 fashion. But equivalent units are being imported and sold under several different brand names here in the US. They're made in China. Makita compressors are made in Taiwan, but have had quality control issues due to lack of individual testing prior to shipment. Rol Air pressure tests every single compressor they themselves make. This can have unintended consequences. I once had a furious phone call from a contractor way up at Lake Tahoe four hours from here, who complained that his new Rol Air wouldn't start when he plugged it in and flipped on the switch. I thought about it a moment, then asked him to check the tank gauge. Sure enough, it still held 120PSI from the factory pressure test, so wasn't supposed to go on until some air was let out. That placated him. But they don't pressure-test import units here. So then it just becomes a matter of statistical warranty issues. The only problem I've ever had with JC-10's is a couple of them had a grease clog in a little odd solenoid valve, which can be user corrected via phone call instructions to the Rol Air service dept. My own Service Dept recently closed due to all the old-timer retirements, or sadly,deaths; but at least they're willing to truck things down the freeway on regular lumber delivery runs to the Makita Service Center in Hayward, which does repair other brands than their own. In the meantime, I've done some repairs in my own shop for neighbor contractors, but certainly don't intend to expand that kind of favor. I generally get paid back in other useful tools, horse-trade style.
    Very cool. I also saw a JC5. It’s even cuter.

Drew Wiley

Yeah, and I noticed a new twist on their mid-sized compressors too the other day when I stopped by my old haunt, but didn't have time to look at it closely. Too busy chatting with old customers and co-workers.

I am considering Rolair's 10 gallon storage tank. What would you recommend for a pressure regulator?