Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought the first component for eliminating dust on scanned negatives

Drew Wiley

Re: Just bought the first component for eliminating dust on scanned negatives

I just use the Craftsman Micro Cleaning Kit. So cheap you can't go wrong. But there's no soft camel hair brush in there suitable for film. You could easily make one yourself modifying one of those little attachments with a lens lipstick brush. I'd imagine something better is available for eletronics tech repair applications. Then you need to find an appropriate tapered step-down diameter sizing adapter, or "step adapter". Fein used to make nice pliable rubber ones. Don't get the hard plastic kind.

Drew Wiley

I took home my black leather office chair for my retouching station. Really comfortable. But I'm probably still the most knowledgeable person in the US with regard to Festool picture framing applications. I've equipped a number of big industrial shops. But my own setup is geared more to on-demand framing applications. I can quickly set up or store away the whole system "Euro-Shop" modular style, and even make my own hardwood mouldings with a near dustless portable rig. My most bang for the buck tool purchase along with a vac to get the discount would probably be the little iron-shaped Deltex sander. It's superb in all kinds of cabinet shop and paint prep finish sander applications; you can even do drywall with it without damaging the innards. The linear LS sander is wonderful for sanding volume mouldings per se, but is otherwise an expensive one-trick pony which is not very versatile. I was part of the focus group behind the Festool mitre saw, along with three German Engineers and the CEO (himself an engineer), so know its pros and cons quite well. It's an electronic tool, so you never want it in the hands of a grunt framing carpenter who doesn't understand how it works and just wants to ram it into the material once he hits the switch. And the clamps are hokey; but that kind of thing can be improvised. The Domino is a wonderfully versatile joinery tool - a real game changer. I have made a couple of specialized picture frame attachments for it, but really use it more for general cabinet shop applications, including making various darkroom furnishings and jigs, kitchen remodeling, even high-end fence work. I wouldn't buy it just for picture frame applications.

You might also consider an antistatic system. Mine was made by Zone IV many years ago, but others with a similar design are available. Do a web search for antistatic transformer.

This won't eliminate dust, but it will minimize it.

I do have an inonizing nozzle on way and an ionizing air purifier. I did a search, but I got things that just look like the power supply for the ionizing air nozzles. Got an example?

I use a bench top anti ESD fan. I turn it on 5 minutes before I begin to work blowing on my film holders. Then I'll vacuum the bench and all adjacent surfaces. I'll let holders sit for another couple of minutes then vacuum the holders. My film in the box is placed under the blower for a couple of minutes.
    Then it's it's lights out and load holders. The holders are loaded into ESD ziplock bags and I'm finished. My approach is to eliminate the dust and the static electricity that causes to to adhere to surfaces that are prone to generating static. Polly plastics are eliminated in the work area. The bench, vacuum, chair and myself are grounded. This is a modified procedure that I've worked under in aerospace clean rooms with both optics and electronics. It works well for me, but like all things in life our personal results are what is important. YMMV.

Michael
    Last edited by Sfroza; 19-Feb-2019 at 03:26. Reason: SP

Yes, I also use ESD bags. They come in many sizes and affordable.

One does need to buy in quantity

A few years ago I sold here excess bags I had that hold 7x17 holders.

A number here bought.
    Tin Can

I use a few of the providers of industrial supplies. Uline, Van Water and Rogers and surprisingly Amazon and others always chasing performance and price. The difficult part is keeping perspective and not going over the top.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I do have an inonizing nozzle on way and an ionizing air purifier. I did a search, but I got things that just look like the power supply for the ionizing air nozzles. Got an example?
    http://www.amstat.com/anti-static-gu...izing-air-gun/
    This may be similar to what you already have. For those of you still seeking a solution, the setup that I purchased from Zone IV looks like this but with a camel hair brush adjacent to the anti-static gun and no connection for compressed air. It has a Chapman 5000v power supply, model 10798. Unlike the Amstat product, my system will shock me if I touch it in the wrong spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfroza View Post
    I use a bench top anti ESD fan. I turn it on 5 minutes before I begin to work blowing on my film holders. Then I'll vacuum the bench and all adjacent surfaces. I'll let holders sit for another couple of minutes then vacuum the holders. My film in the box is placed under the blower for a couple of minutes.
    Then it's it's lights out and load holders. The holders are loaded into ESD ziplock bags and I'm finished. My approach is to eliminate the dust and the static electricity that causes to to adhere to surfaces that are prone to generating static. Polly plastics are eliminated in the work area. The bench, vacuum, chair and myself are grounded. This is a modified procedure that I've worked under in aerospace clean rooms with both optics and electronics. It works well for me, but like all things in life our personal results are what is important. YMMV.

Michael
    I have a small ionizing esd fan on the way so probably similar to what you have. I also thought about an ionizing bar mounted on ceiling above my desk as well. The hard part will be to have it set low enough that it doesn't cause my mounting fluid (kami) to evaporate prior to getting the mylar on and over to the scanner. Once at the scanner, I will blow of with ionizing gun and then point fan at it while scanning. Of course I need to experiment a bit to find the optimum set up for scanning and initial film loading. I typically don't worry about it and have not had issues. I load many a holder in the field.

I also use an esd mat under my wet mount station and an esd strap. Also getting an esd mat to stand on and some of those cute lint/dust free clean room disposable bunny suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce M. Herman View Post
    http://www.amstat.com/anti-static-gu...izing-air-gun/
    This may be similar to what you already have. For those of you still seeking a solution, the setup that I purchased from Zone IV looks like this but with a camel hair brush adjacent to the anti-static gun and no connection for compressed air. It has a Chapman 5000v power supply, model 10798. Unlike the Amstat product, my system will shock me if I touch it in the wrong spot.
    The one I am gonna buy is a SIMCO for about 100 bucks. Not quite ready to drop 900 bucks on one yet.