Thread: Building a back for an 8x10 Mahogany Ebony Camera

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Building a back for an 8x10 Mahogany Ebony Camera

I have been asked by a friend of mine who recently purchased a Mahogany 8x10 Ebony camera that was missing the back. I've built several backs before and this will be a nice challenge. My question is to the group is this. Could someone with an 8x10 Ebony take some pictures for me showing how the springs attach to the ground glass frame. I am familiar with the traditional shackles that Deardorff uses and Kodak but from the pictures I've seen I can't tell how Hiromi does his on the Ebony.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I wish this camera was mine as it is beautiful. It will be a joy to work on it.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fullsizeoutput_3da1.jpg   fullsizeoutput_3da3.jpg  

Re: Building a back for an 8x10 Mahogany Ebony Camera

Hopefully someone can come up with something better but here are some of my auction site photos when I sold my SV810U years ago....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SV810U Web Photo 001.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	187475Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ebony SV810U 012.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	187474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SV810U Web Photo 002.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	187476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SV810U Web Photo 007.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	187477

And here is a page from the Ebony 8x10 user guide....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Page Ebony sv810.users.guide JPEG.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	187479

Eric, thanks very much. Anything is helpful and this helps.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Thanks for the videos. They are nice but I need someone who owns a camera to take some detail pictures for me of how the springs attach to the ground glass frame. I should say what the springs slide on which are attached to the ground glass frame. Four clips? of some kind. Thanks.

Photographer

Jim,

Hope these pix help.

There are two flat springs: the upper one is short and the lower one is longer with right angle parts soldered (?) to each end. One of the right angle parts is short and simply anchors that end of the spring to the GG holder. The right angle part on the other end is longer and has a slot that allows the GG holder to lift. Both ends of the long spring are secured to the GG holder by wood screws with washers under the heads.

Both of the right angle components on the ends of the larger spring fit into mortices in the camera back.

Both springs are secured one over the other with two machine screws. I did not notice, but I presume the machine screws are screwed into threaded inserts.

Let me know if I can clarify this or provide other information.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3CFAAFA1-7CC3-404C-B006-703917F3E316.jpg   AB2CD64F-EE88-4F96-B672-E3FD2C894F4B.jpg   37A83BEC-AD89-480B-B2B3-D2778835E80C.jpg  
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Jim,

Hope these pix help.

There are two flat springs: the upper one is short and the lower one is longer with right angle parts soldered (?) to each end. One of the right angle parts is short and simply anchors that end of the spring to the GG holder. The right angle part on the other end is longer and has a slot that allows the GG holder to lift. Both ends of the long spring are secured to the GG holder by wood screws with washers under the heads.

Both of the right angle components on the ends of the larger spring fit into mortices in the camera back.

Both springs are secured one over the other with two machine screws. I did not notice, but I presume the machine screws are screwed into threaded inserts.

Let me know if I can clarify this or provide other information.
    Keith, very kind of you to post these pictures. It is just what I need. Thanks for taking the time to do what you did as it is greatly appreciated. A very unique way of attaching the springs.