Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need To Update Editing Software...Suggestions?

Re: Need To Update Editing Software...Suggestions?

I have been using the subscription for adobe for years and I have yet to pay out the cost of one owned license of PS, let alone combined with the 3 or 4 other Adobe products I use. The thing is, if you want the full access to the latest tools of say PS or LR, you need the subscription. I think PS you can still buy a hard copy of. But then upgrades are good for a year unless you purchase a maintenance contract which ain’t cheap.

I always see people asking for free this and free that. Sometimes it is good like RawTherepee or Darkroom, but most of the time you get what you pay for. The old saying, crap in, crap out. Plus, I have heard people complain about about programs not allowing them to do what they want to their images. Some of that is just a bad image, but a lot has to do with the software.

For me, the only program I know of that can handle a 70gb plus file with speed and ease and do more than I could ever want is PS. Whether hard copy or CC. And I don’t think Adobe is going anywhere for a very long, long time unless they embrace the new and improved super green deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    It's not a free ride when you spend the money and ultimately have nothing to show for it. Rental software is not a good model for consumers. All the software I have/use I have payed for / wrote myself.
    I don’t think you understand how Lightroom Classic CC works. When you quit paying the month to month (or annual fee) only several things quit working. The Map Module no longer works, because Adobe licenses the map from Google. Why should Adobe continue to pay for the map when you quit paying? Sounds like something for free to me.

The Import Module no longer works. You can’t use the tools to develop (process) images because you quit paying. Why should you get something for free?

The Develop Module quits working. You can no long use tools to develop photos. You quit paying for the tools.

All of the photos you have processed (developed) can be used. You can export them, you can print them, you can make books using the Book Module. You have paid for tools to process images and you have access to the photos that you paid to process. This is fair.

So, you have access to you images and can use them as you see fit. You just can’t use tools you're no longer paying for.

I started in 1996 with sorta free Adobe Photoshop 4.0 Big Electric Cat when it came packaged with a scanner. A good deal then.

I moved to EDU versions after that as i was in school. Full suites were very cheap. I was editing video on Sony Vaio and my system didn't crash like all the school Macs. Firewire was working fine. Even the Sony Vaio C1 series ran Adobe. It was the first video camera, Firewire tiny laptop. Mac was nowhere in sight.

Kept up EDU until 2004 then moved to upgrades. it was more money.

When CC started I went there. I now find full CC cheaper than all those upgrades.

Bought piles of computers as my employer helped all 2500 factory workers buy them to encourage self education in computer skills. It worked!
    Tin Can

Since I have a commercial studio, I maintain a subscription to the full Creative Suite, but if I wanted to ditch Adobe, I might go with
    Affinity Photo . I've played with it a bit and thought it pretty solid.

CB

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    Since I have a commercial studio, I maintain a subscription to the full Creative Suite, but if I wanted to ditch Adobe, I might go with
    Affinity Photo . I've played with it a bit and thought it pretty solid.

CB
    Have been using PS since it came out in 1990. Have taught many college level photo courses and PS was always the standard. My biggest beef with Adobe was that I had to purchase my own copy of PS for my computer... think that they would have offered it for free to instructors. Switching and having to learn another app, no way. But if I ever did consider switching, Affinity Photo would also be my choice. Have heard plenty of good things about it.

Thanks everyone for all of the thoughtful comments!

Again...I will only need this to store, organize, and tweak images prior to posting them on my website plus on sites like this forum.

Said tweaks will likely only involve adjustments to size, exposure/contrast/color temps, maybe a little cropping/straightening, and perhaps a little local area dodging/burning...but very little of this likely as I'll be photo-copying finished prints with my D-80 prior to upload. In fact...any local area tweaks would likely only be necessary if my repro-lighting isn't evenly distributed - which does happen sometimes.

Oh...and some very basic video editing capability might be nice - but not absolutely necessary.

At any rate...my needs are really quite simple. I would never anticipate needing to "upgrade" any features of whatever software I choose...which is why I think purchasing something once, on a disc, would make sense. My only concern would be that whatever disc I choose would be (and remain) compatible with the operating system on my MacBook Pro.

Remember Aperture? https://appleinsider.com/articles/15...new-photos-app

Apple does end of life too often for me, yet I love my iPhone and await a better cheaper Apple Tablet

I lost the faith when my Air 11 Late 2010 lost the ability to upgrade and was too expensive to fix...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Thanks everyone for all of the thoughtful comments!

Again...I will only need this to store, organize, and tweak images prior to posting them on my website plus on sites like this forum.

Said tweaks will likely only involve adjustments to size, exposure/contrast/color temps, maybe a little cropping/straightening, and perhaps a little local area dodging/burning...but very little of this likely as I'll be photo-copying finished prints with my D-80 prior to upload. In fact...any local area tweaks would likely only be necessary if my repro-lighting isn't evenly distributed - which does happen sometimes.

Oh...and some very basic video editing capability might be nice - but not absolutely necessary.

At any rate...my needs are really quite simple. I would never anticipate needing to "upgrade" any features of whatever software I choose...which is why I think purchasing something once, on a disc, would make sense. My only concern would be that whatever disc I choose would be (and remain) compatible with the operating system on my MacBook Pro.
    Famous last words, I will not need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Remember Aperture? https://appleinsider.com/articles/15...new-photos-app

Apple does end of life too often for me, yet I love my iPhone and await a better cheaper Apple Tablet

I lost the faith when my Air 11 Late 2010 lost the ability to upgrade and was too expensive to fix...
    I used to hate apple and at times I still do, but I have the 10.5 inch pro and it is pretty decent. I also run a MacPro, which I will upgrade next year with everything thrown in, including the Kitchen sink. Need to still get a couple of Mac lap tops for me and the wife (the work station ones)

My iphone is not too bad. Service provider could be better.

I use Walmart Total as month to month provider, $35 a month for UL T&T with 5 Gig data. It runs on Verizon which is the only network that really works here.

I now have 2 iPhone SE which was just discontinued, but was new 2 years ago. Runs everything now.. and is tiny. I paid $150 for the first new from Walmart a year ago. I bought a spare this month for $70. Apple sold them for $400 until last month.

Before that I ran an iPod 6 as wifi phone. Free anywhere i went then.

My landline simply wouldn't keep working in Chicago and here it's ridiculous.

I never answer the phone, seldom text.

It's really for, 'I've fallen and can't get up...'

I did fall 6 months ago and crack 3 ribs, never thought of calling for help. Nothing could be done, just grin and bear it.... 6 weeks. I keep plenty of food here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I used to hate apple and at times I still do, but I have the 10.5 inch pro and it is pretty decent. I also run a MacPro, which I will upgrade next year with everything thrown in, including the Kitchen sink. Need to still get a couple of Mac lap tops for me and the wife (the work station ones)

My iphone is not too bad. Service provider could be better.
    Tin Can