Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite again!

Foamer

Re: Yosemite again!

I've been pretty happy with my Subeeboo Forester in winter. It has plenty of clearance and with Blizzak tires it seems to chew through anything reasonable. I do keep a pair of snow shovels and a hitch mounted winch + pulley in the back, just in case. Last weekend I was driving around Lake Poinsett, SD to photo ice fishermen. Ice was 22+ inches thick with about 8 inches of drifted snow. I had no problems getting around and drove over 10 miles on the lake. Everybody else had either a large 4WD pickup or tracked vehicles. So far, this is the only vehicle* I haven't been stuck in. Here I am parked on Lake Waubay, SD the week before. Not much snow there.

Kent in SD

*Once drove a K2500 truck
    into a snowfilled cut 7 feet
    deep. Had to climb through the
    window to get out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SubaruWaubayM.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Lots of warnings on highway conditions in the mountains this weekend.
    Great for photography if you're already in the valley but a dicey trip if you're just heading up.
    If 140 stays open, that's how I'd go.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Try a 22 or 30 foot deep cut. That is just "normal" (average) for certain of our mountain passes getting opened up. In the backcountry the drifts have been known to get over 200 ft deep. An entire WWII military aircraft disappeared into one of our glaciers until it finally thawed out many decades later. I'm having a bit of an argument with a pal at the moment. He wants to take his Subaru Forester to Wyoming this summer; but I'd prefer to take my Toyota 4WD truck. It's not as if I'm worried about high clearance issues on the anticipated route, but the fact he doesn't want to carry a true spare tire versus a temporary spare. On some of those long washboard/gravel roads, a temp probably wouldn't last ten minutes. And without cell reception in the area, and the nearest tow truck hours away, it just seems risky.

Foamer

I have a true spare, tire kit, air pump, and a roof rack to put a 2nd spare if I was going deep into rough country.

I was once two hours south of Bismarck North Dakota hunting deer, and got a flat. Changed it out and started heading to a town for a proper inside repair. Got another flat! Man was that a pain in the ass.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Try a 22 or 30 foot deep cut. That is just "normal" (average) for certain of our mountain passes getting opened up. In the backcountry the drifts have been known to get over 200 ft deep. He wants to take his Subaru Forester to Wyoming this summer; but I'd prefer to take my Toyota 4WD truck. It's not as if I'm worried about high clearance issues on the anticipated route, but the fact he doesn't want to carry a true spare tire versus a temporary spare..

There are deep cuts where I live, of course, and I stay away from them unless I have snowshoes. As for the Subaru, I've owned a variety of 4WD vehicles over the years including large Chevy 3/4 ton trucks and Toyota SUVs. What I like about the Forester is it's pretty rugged, goes through trails like a mini-Jeep, plenty of inside storage area, and gets a consistent 25 mpg. Not only economical for me (I often drive >400 miles on weekends,) but I don't have to worry about finding gas stations in the middle of nowhere. The Forester is the best vehicle I've owned for what I like to do. As for winter, I think the main difference between us is you can get in your Tacoma and go visit it anytime you want. I simply open my door............. If I didn't love winter, I'd be living somewhere else. Maybe back in Kansas. (A very under rated state, BTW.)

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Drew Wiley

Oh, I'd love to take a long drive further east than the Rockies and see the high plains some day, but will have a hard enough time this year just coming up with the gas money for the numerous trips already lined up. So gotta slow down drymounting for awhile, because museum board is so expensive. Fortunately, I have a substantial reserve of film in the freezer, so that's no issue. The truck's been recently reworked and should be reliable a few more years. And I always backpack or camp to save money, but would do that anyway just to be outdoors away from the usual nuisances.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Do they require tire chains if you have studded snow tires?
    When I lived in Ontario studded tires were banned because of damage to the road surface.
    In France, it is illegal to go into the mountain areas in winter WITHOUT chains. There are road signs stating (in French) that chains are mandatory from that point on. When we skied in the French Alps we always had chains and they were a PITT to put on (for the snow) and take off for the lower altitudes.
    Hit an unexpected snow storm while driving through Durango in April/May 1979. Car did not have snow tires or chains - but experience of Ontario winter driving prevailed.
    regards

Tony

In CA, if you've got 4wd and tires rated for snow, that's good 90% of the time although carrying chains are still required.
    Studs are frowned on if not illegal in CA.
    I carried chains in my 4wd year round because weather in the mountains is as unpredictable as a baby's bottom.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Last night's specific news per Hwy 80 over Donner this weekend : mandatory real chains required for all vehicles. No exceptions. That could change if conditions improve, but for the moment is the set of rules. And under ordinary
    conditions below the average winter snowline, snow tires are indeed illegal. But they probably wouldn't ticket someone headed that direction with skis on a rack atop the vehicle.

They are collecting donations for Aramark employees who lost everything when the employee housing (in tents) was destroyed by the snow.
    150 employees with no place to sleep.
    They were put up temporarily at the Ahwannee/Majestic but were displaced when paid guests re entered the valley. I heard that now they are camped somewhere around the utilities cantonment where it's warm.
    https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...225993955.html