Thread: Processing Dry Plates

Foamer

Processing Dry Plates

My film processing has been going great! I've done about 30 sheets of FP4+ & HP5 now, and all have come out very well. I was thinking of getting a couple of months experience processing film before tackling dry plates, but now I'm pretty sure I'm up to it ahead of schedule. I do have some questions of course.

I have HC-110 developer, which I've read works well with the Lane plates. My fixer is Photographers' Formulary tf4, and I'm not sure that's what I need. I think I need something with a hardener? I was thinking of doing tray develop since I do have a red light, but space would be a problem. I'm now thinking of buying the holder for my SP-445. My worry about it is agitation. Jason said to agitate gently, but how do you do that with a tank? And, what is the procedure for processing? Do I do exactly the same thing (with adjusted time) as I do for FP4+? I.e., devloper for x minutes at x temp, then a water stop bath for ~5 minutes, then fix for ~5 minutes, then rinse for ~5 minutes plus Photoflo? What then? Anything else to coat them after drying? Where do I get the little paper envelopes to store them in? Has anyone been doing Lane plates in the SP-445, woith HC110? I could use suggestions.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Processing Dry Plates

I develop mine in the SP-445. Works great. I do exactly what’s printed on the back of the box. I slosh it around pretty good during inversion. If you have batch 15 or newer, the emulsion’s not going to move.

I’ve used TF-4, but not for plates. I think you would have issues. I would recommend buying a rapid fixer. No hardening needed now (since batch 18).

Use Ilford’s method for archival rinse.

The Ortho plates are just as tough as newer regular batches as well.

Have fun!
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Foamer

So, what a rapid fixer? Remember this is all new to me.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

I see Massive Dev App has an option for J Lane Dry Plates!
    Tin Can

Foamer

Thank you Randy. Totally missed it!

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

By the way, my Hat avatar was shot with a NOS 100 year old 5X7 dry glass plate, click on it and it will become obvious.
    Tin Can

Foamer

Took a look and I have about two boxes of batch 14 & 17. Some of it exposed & not processed, some still sitting in holders. I went ahead today and ordered a small bottle of Kodak Rapid Fixer with hardener from Blue Moon. I figure it would be cheaper for me to go ahead and but a bottle and process them myself. Will try ONE of those earlier plates gently in the SP-445 and see how it does. If the emulsion comes off I guess I'm going to learn how to use trays real fast! My latest batch of plates is #24 but I haven't tapped it yet. Blue Moon told me tf4 is a rapid fixer. If the consensus is tf4 won't work with the current batch of plates then I'll try the Ilford fixer, I guess. I shoot mostly Ilford film anyway. So, I should have my SP-445 plate holders and the Kodak RF by the middle of next week.

My plan for the older batch of plates is HC-110 at dilution B (using times from massive chart,) then water stop bath, then Kodak RF for 6 minutes, followed by archival wash. Sound OK? I still have most of a box of batch 12a which was screwed up (swirly emulsion) that I could shoot some practice frames with.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Kent, good luck! I’m going to be developing some batch #4 plates today for another photographer so I’ll be in the same boat as you. I plan to pre-harden and tray develop one plate to see what the frilling is like.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com