Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: YUP. Here it is...another backpack question. Bear with me...

Re: YUP. Here it is...another backpack question. Bear with me...

I’m very happy with Think Tank Photo’s Airport Accelerator backpack. I use it with my Chamonix 4x5 setup, but I also use it for my 8x10 kit.

Very well made and comfortable to wear.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

After reading so much about backpacks, I ordered the Extra Large f64 Backpack from B&H at the lowest price I have seen. I got it today and can tell you that I am very happy with it. It looks humongous, but it is perfect for the 8x10, reduced back to 4x5, 4 8x10 film holders, four lenses, dark cloth, meter, couple, and two side bags with 10 4x5 film holders. This last one can be reduced to 5 by leaving one of the side bags. The backpack is well padded, the dividers are strong, and it is so comfortable to wear it on the back. When full with all the stuff plus the tripod is about 23 pounds. Thanks to the weight of the super light Intrepid.
    Last edited by pepeguitarra; 8-Feb-2019 at 06:45.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

SPECIFIC in the sense that I’ve got exactly the same camera, lenses and holders as you mention here. To be more specific, I’ve got two small lenses 150 and 300 and a big one, 90, and sometimes also my 210 as a 4th lens, which is also big. It fits all perfectly in my Osprey Farpoint 40. I deliberately chose for a general backpack and not for a camera backpack, although I use it exclusively for my LF photography. In the house I use it for storage of all the gear I need when I go out, so that I do not have to remember and forget what I need to take with me when the light is suddenly special. I hate specific camera backpacks because they very seldomly care for space you need for being one or two nights from home, but more important, they are only designed for dslr’s with telelenses, which do not fit viewcamera’s at all. This is, when you don’t want to carry one of the very huge camera backpacks. I am perfectly happy with this Osprey because it carries very comfortable. Only thing is that I did not find the ideal solution for my tripod. I have a small Rollei tripod which fits inside, but this is only really stable at lower heights up to 80cm or so. My better tripod is longer and I have to carry that one on the outside, which is not ideal with airport security controls. This is an issue which you would have with any backpack as far as I can see.

I retired all my large army backpacks, they just held too much. At sixty I realize I am not as durable as I was, so to limit my items I bought a Sony backpack, I did see one at B and h. I got mine second hand unused (unwanted gift) it is perfect for my 4x5, four lenses and all the other acoutriments including half a dozen film holders and very well padded. My tripod just slings in the middle of the pack. Great on my bike as well.

^+1

I keep looking at how to convert a golf bag pull cart to carry photo gear.

Current walking rig is a set of folding luggage wheels that iworks for me . . .just barely.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

The F.stop bag is on it's way and will be delivered today. I felt after watching as many reviews as I could that it would fit the bill. We shall see. I have some military pack and other types of backpacks, none of which seem to work well. I'm curious about this one as it has an aluminum frame inside. WORST case I simply return it after looking at it. If anyone would like, I'll post photos after I get gear loaded into it. I need to be organized since, by nature, I am very unorganized. My bag collection is just getting out of hand. I have a L A R G E Lowepro bag that serves as my "storage" bag for 4 SLR's and all of my Nikon glass, a smaller Lowepro bag for the Hassy and stuff, a large tupperware bin with all of my spare filters, dividers from the aforementioned bags, cords, straps...etc. And a small Tamrac backpack good just for one DSLR and/or Hassy and spare lens. I intend to keep the 4x5 in the F.stop bag so when we get the rare nice light I can grab and go, or even put it on my back and walk my 90 acres.

Got the pack from fstop. Dang, it's very, very, very well built. I may have gone one size larger but I'm not that large and I think this will work. Have the F2, two lenses, dark cloth, lens cleaning stuff in the medium slope ICU. Above that sits a film carrier bag with six film holders. Meter up top. I have plenty of room and room for 1 or 2 more lenses. It's comfortable as all get out. Now to go walk a few miles in and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    Got the pack from fstop. Dang, it's very, very, very well built. I may have gone one size larger but I'm not that large and I think this will work. Have the F2, two lenses, dark cloth, lens cleaning stuff in the medium slope ICU. Above that sits a film carrier bag with six film holders. Meter up top. I have plenty of room and room for 1 or 2 more lenses. It's comfortable as all get out. Now to go walk a few miles in and report back.
    Which one is it? The Tilopa, or..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Which one is it? The Tilopa, or..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I got the Lotus which seems plenty big enough. If I were camping and taking a tent I would have gone much bigger.

Was looking for a backpack to dedicate to my Chamonix whole plate camera, 2+ lenses, and more. Not looking for a large backpack, but one on the smaller side for short hikes. Ended up taking a chance and acquiring a Lowepro Droneguard BP 400 Backpack (Drone Case for DJI Phantom Black fractal) for only $67.00 (returned item to dealer but still in like new condition with original tags attached to it). Dividers in the pack configured for holding a drone system. Took me less than a minute to reconfigure it to hold my whole format equipment.

Good: Pack is very well padded. Easily holds the camera, WA bellows, 2 holders in padded cases, focusing cloth, 2 or 3 lenses, spotmeter, and various small accessories. Pack rides great on my back.

Not so good: No waist belt. No tripod holder, but the face of the backpack has 4 horizontal straps of looped webbing that I will attach 2 straps to to snuggly carry the tripod. No extra storage for water bottle and more, but since I intend on using the pack for only short hikes, not really a problem.

This "drone" pack or a similar one would easily work for carrying a 4x5 or 5x7 system. Best thing is that Drone backpacks seem to be bargain priced over similar "photo" designated backpacks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drone pack.jpg   WholePlate.jpg