Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: YUP. Here it is...another backpack question. Bear with me...

Re: YUP. Here it is...another backpack question. Bear with me...

Its still a bit of a work-in-progress, but here are some photos of how I've been setting up my MindShift FirstLight 30L for all this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190209_115233.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	187509Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2019-02-09-12-00-25.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	187510

Bear with the horrid photos. Basement renovations, plus photos in the workout room and makeshift photo table.

One criticism is the lack of tripod carrying attachment. This is in front of the weight rack, and the tripod is on the ground. Honestly, a tripod never bothered me carried this way as long as it doesn't sway or rock and is somewhat tight. I walked around our house today, looking like a total geek (thank God we have no neighbors. It felt good even in 5 degree wind chill.

Name:	20190209-_DSF4364.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	187516

Side view. With Chamonix 4x5, 210 and 150 lens, dark cloth, meter, filters, notebook, pack, 6 film holders in carry pouch and rain cover we're at 18.4 pounds.

Name:	20190209-_DSF4365.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	187517

Top view with meter in mesh bag and film sitting atop the Slope Medium ICU

Name:	20190209-_DSF4366.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	187518

The business end, with two lenses (poor view sorry) and F2 below the dark cloth (dark cloth is a great protective cover at this point)

Name:	20190209-_DSF4367.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	187519

With the dark cloth off, the F2 is snug as a bug in a rug. I may get the large ICU and see how that works. I'll lose the top space but have more pockets. As it is I have much more room. I think the carry straps could be more padded and the belly belt better, but we'll see. I like the flexibility of this setup with the removable ICU. Thanks to all who helped me.

Name:	20190209-_DSF4368.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	187520

Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    it doesn't sway or rock and is somewhat tight.
    It looks as if your pack has some attachment tabs at the bottom--one thing I've done in the past is use Grimloc carabineers to attach an Arc'teryx chalk bag to serve as a field-expedient wand pocket (though a water bottle holster would work as well.) Also, you might remember the classic solution to lashing a flyrod tube to a pack--make turn around the tripod legs with the compression strap(s) before clicking your QR buckle closed.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    It looks as if your pack has some attachment tabs at the bottom--one thing I've done in the past is use Grimloc carabineers to attach an Arc'teryx chalk bag to serve as a field-expedient wand pocket (though a water bottle holster would work as well.) Also, you might remember the classic solution to lashing a flyrod tube to a pack--make turn around the tripod legs with the compression strap(s) before clicking your QR buckle closed.
    Thank you. I did wrap the top most tube around before attaching in my first attempt, and it did seem to help keep it a little more snug. What did help eventually, was tightening that bottom strap so that the middle post of the tripod "hung up" on it and that kept it a bit higher. If it becomes a problem I'll attach a chalk bag. My only concern is if I put a laptop or tablet (highly unlikely) on the outermost pocket I'd be afraid to cinch it down too tightly.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Check this video and see how the f64 backpack works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnJReMzqsG0
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones