Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: YUP. Here it is...another backpack question. Bear with me...

YUP. Here it is...another backpack question. Bear with me...

For my Chamonix 4x5 F2 and three lenses, 6-8 holders, meter, dark cloth..etc. I would like SPECIFIC recommendations, as every thread I find references backpackphoto and they're out of business, or models of Lowepro or F.64 backpacks that have changed (since most threads are quite old). I need to buy from BHPhoto since I have a gift card there. I have a Lowepro bag now but it won't fit the camera. My regular back packs, while they work, require too much digging around the bottom and too much bangs around. Think Tank has good recommendations but I NEED a backpack with those wrap around lumbar straps, chest strap, tripod holder thingy and those dividers that remove. I don't see me ever using it for 8x10 or moving up in size so don't want it big enough to carry a human in. I'll spend up to $250 bucks and want it to last a long time. Any help is appreciated. There is nowhere close to me to look at bags.

Re: YUP. Here it is...another backpack question. Bear with me...

If it helps any... I carry my Chamonix 4x5 system consisting of the camera, WA bellows, 5+ lenses: 65mm to a 500mm f/7 (tele) KOMURA, Chamonix's reflex viewer (non-foldable one), spot meter and/or Horseman 45 exposure meter, 6+ 4x5 holders, and other stuff in a thinktank Airport Antidote backpack. Everything is very well padded/protected, one main zipper to access everything, and the items do not move around at all. Two straps on the side of the pack solidly hold my tripod in vertical position. Turned 71 last year and think nothing of carrying the system on my back for miles along trails in New England and the ones I hike are not class 1 but many times class 4 in places.

Thank you Greg. It looks like that one isn't available anymore but i'm sure there's a current model that replaced it.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

For my 4x5 Chamonix or Intrepid, three small lenses, Pentax spot meter, small loupe, dark cloth and another bag with strictly 6 filholrders, I use a bag/cooler from Walmart that cost $18. I am 66 and do not spend hours walking on a trail anymore. For my 8x10, an f64 backpack. Although I do not walk long distances on trails, I do walk couple of miles, and the weight is almost double. The f64 backpack is at its lowest prices ever at B&H and Adorama ($159) shipped.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

I was looking at that f.64 but it seems much larger than what I need. My current pack is 21L in volume and I'm thinking closer to 26-30L would be about right. Wondering if this one would work:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._woodland.html

For large format I use a photobackpacker setup, but as you said they are out of business. But for my digital system I use f-stop gear and it's a great hiking pack and the internal units are configurable enough to hold the F2 and your listed equipment. The downside is it's not at b&h and it's outside your price range. Still I'd save for a bit over compromising with a regular photo bag (I find them overly heavy and poor to hike with). You could also just buy the ICUs and put them in a regular hiking pack you already own. That's what I would do if I had to buy again.

Edit: I should add that it's been a few years since I last bag shopped. The MindShift you list above looks like a huge improvement over the old mainstream brands like Lowepro et al

Wow that F-stop looks gorgeous, never heard of them. I don't mind paying for quality. Thanks for the recommendation. What I don't like about the MindShift is that you open it from the back, not sure I'll like that.

If you can, take a look at Peak Designs "Everyday Backpack." It comes in 20 & 30 liter sizes, is carried at B&H, and is only fractionally above your $250 budget. I recently bought the 20L size as a compact pack for my Canham 4x5, 6 holders, one lens, and meter. It can probably be configured to hold more lenses, and of course the 30L version would have even more room. (I have the usually mentioned Backpacker rig when I want to carry all my lenses, filters, etc. and don't have size limitations to deal with.) The design is unique, with a top opening, but also side opening. You have to see it, or at least the videos on the Peak Designs website, to understand how it works. I'm very happy with mine.

I am also using a F-Stop with my Chamonix, four lenses and all the usual goodies. Great pack and I found it on Craig’s List for a great price. But, having used it, I would gladly pay retail. If you plan to do any serious hiking with your rig, it is worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been pondering the same question for a similar set of gear. I saw a lot of people saying that the Mindshift FirstLight 40L was a great bag for their 8x10 setups. So I went ahead and just ordered a FirstLight 30L.
    I'd love to tell you how well it works, but I'm still waiting for my own Chamonix order to get past EMS limbo.