Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: YUP. Here it is...another backpack question. Bear with me...

Re: YUP. Here it is...another backpack question. Bear with me...

Not what you are l;ooking for. I know, but this worked for me once:

When I had no money and my gear reflected that: Packed my Speed Graphic and everything elsed into a Jan Sport book bag. First I cut up a closed cell foam sleeping pad to fit the internal volume of rthe bag, stacking it in layers tacked together with a hot glue gun. Then layed out the gear on the foam and cut (with a steak knife) the foam layer by layer to fit the gear snuggly. Made a solid package that carried well and held all my stuff. Cost was well under 4100 . . .probably well under $50.

yerah, I know you want a new bag dedicated by designe. I am just shareing a workable alternative that will get you by till you get a slick outfit.

Before dismissing this idea, consider that it is fully effective with respect to protecting your gear and facilitaiting your photography, while being totally stealth regarding what is inside. And no, none of your friends will sasy . . ."What a cool bag you have!"
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Have had Mindshifts. Prefer Fstop. Let me know if you are looking for the Mindshifts. Used lightly.

You guys are great, I appreciate it. After looking at Youtube videos, I think the f.stop is a winner on several fronts. I didn't realize at first the whole ICU concept, but can see that I can purchase and leave stored some camera gear and move it in and out as needed (ie SLR vs Hasselblad vs MF) and that is a gigantic advantage. And not least of all is traveling should I need to remove the ICU to check the bag. I'm going to look a bit closer and sizing and options but I think I'm heading down the f.stop path. I appreciate all the help a great deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    Wow that F-stop looks gorgeous, never heard of them. I don't mind paying for quality. Thanks for the recommendation. What I don't like about the MindShift is that you open it from the back, not sure I'll like that.
    The f-stop also opens from the back. In practice it's nice because you don't put the part that goes against your back down in the damp grass or mud. You can also work out of it while wearing it if you just leave the waist belt attached and rotate it to the side. But I don't find that necessary or comfortable.

Larry I am not finding out that is probably a benefit rather than a hindrance, I just never had one like that before.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

The advantage of carrying a bag, or a cooler bag is that you do not need to put it on the ground and it opens from the top. So, you can carry it as a sling bag. Once you remove the camera and one lens to put it on the tripod, it becomes very light to carry it on the side. In case of emergency, you just take the tripod with the camera and move out of the way. Nothing to pick up from the ground, nothing to get lost. Of course, this is for 4x5.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Very happy with my F-Stop Shinn and Tilopa. I put my 8x10 in the Shinn and Hasselblads in the Tilopa. Staying organized in the field is a big priority to me (because I'm naturally unorganized). These packs give me a "home" for everything and I can then stay focused on making images and not on digging around in my pack for xyz items. Obviously, other packs can work just as well, but I like the F-Stop system and they are comfortable to carry around.

Hi,

let me recommend the "Otlieb Atrack 45". https://www.ortlieb.com/us/atrack

It opens like a travel bag, with a zipper on the inside (vs. your back), so it is thief-proof, and it is waterproof, too.

When you deposit the back on the ground (snow, ice, mud, grassland with bugs), the zipper is automatically on the upside. This is very useful. Because humidity does not enter your bag.

And it does not fall over.

You don't fall over the bag, either, when you choose a red one.

It costs half as much as a f.stop bag. Although Ortlieb produces quite durable things.

It does not scream "steal me".

The bag will be wide open and spacious. You will directly find everything.

There is enough space to take a sleeping bag / bivouac sack, a stove, some water etc with you.

You can attach your tripod and the hiking poles, a helmet, the ice axe and the climbing irons, with net pockets and daisy chains.

Such bag packs are much better than all these dedicated photo bags, IMHO.

There are very useful inserts for cameras etc, e.g. "Tenba Byob 10" and "Tenba Byob 13", with zippers, what I can recommend, too.

Regards

So let me say from the start that I own a LOT of bags/backpacks. Lowepro, ThinkTank, Mindshift, Domke, Tamarac and a bunch of others. Even a custom made one. Between large format, digital and the military I always seemed to need something different. I'm pretty good with what I have right now but if you are open to something different look at Eberlestock. They make a huge range of hunting and tactical packs. They are not cheap but I can vouch for their quality. I have used several of their tactical packs and they quite versatile. They have a size for virtually any camera format you could ever carry. They are not padded so you would have to use lens and film holder cases. If you don't have a case for your camera you could use multiple lens/camera wraps (look at Stone Photo gear in the Member Made LF Gear section). The nice thing about tactical packs verses camera backpacks is they put a huge emphasis on weight distribution. If you take the time to learn how to wear your pack correctly (there is more to it than you think) you can walk further with less effort versus a camera backpack with just a waist belt.

Hope this helps.

-Joshua

Eberlystock makes good stuff.

There are a number of companies that offer "tactical" backpacks. All are really stoutly made for rugged use in the field. Most look like you are up to something . . well "Tactical" Most are not designed for photo gear, but some are. All look as butch as can be . . .form follows function.

"Hazard-4" makes two packs that are set up for cameras. One is a smaller bag ideal for a limited DSLR kit. The other is a larger sling style pack thqat could hold a 4x5 camera body with a few lenses , film holders and the other stuff. TRipod strasps on too. Find them on Amazon and E-Bay.

These items are expensive because first of all they are made pretty tough and secondly are made in the USA.

May not be what you really wqant but they are out there.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!