Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: February portraits 2019

Re: February portraits 2019

4th Annual Adoption Day Portrait by Aaron Amodt, on Flickr

My best friends
    aaronamodt.com

Quote Originally Posted by cuypers1807 View Post
    Kurt Moser uses the same lens I have. (https://www.lightcatcher.it/en/) I have seen a few others mention that they have one but haven't seen too many examples other than Kurt. He is shooting 20x20 plates greater than 1:1. Sharpness gets really limited at 1:1 because virtually nothing is in focus due to the shallow DOF. I am shooting some close portraits over the weekend. I'll post one if anything is worthy. Looking forward to seeing your results as well.
    I enjoyed the videos of Kurt Moser. It is amazing how close he was shooting with the 18" Beseler lens.

A couple friends came over Saturday to help me experiment with lenses. I spaced the front element out 1/4" on the 22" Beseler triplet, and that nicely took the edge of sharpness. However I still didn't come up with a good picture yet. I'm going to the darkroom now to see if I missed a good one to print. In the meantime here is one from that session with my Vitax portrait lens. 11x14 contact print of Tristan, still in the wash tray. About 4 second exposure on Fuji x-ray film in caffenol developer.

Tristan by Yew Piney, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    I enjoyed the videos of Kurt Moser. It is amazing how close he was shooting with the 18" Beseler lens.

A couple friends came over Saturday to help me experiment with lenses. I spaced the front element out 1/4" on the 22" Beseler triplet, and that nicely took the edge of sharpness. However I still didn't come up with a good picture yet. I'm going to the darkroom now to see if I missed a good one to print. In the meantime here is one from that session with my Vitax portrait lens. 11x14 contact print of Tristan, still in the wash tray. About 4 second exposure on Fuji x-ray film in caffenol developer.

Tristan by Yew Piney, on Flickr
    This is a great portrait.

Quote Originally Posted by devinnamaky View Post
    This is a great portrait.
    Thank you. Tristan is a good subject. I've got one on 8x10 of him now that I think I like even better. He's a photo student and shot some of me on 4x5 that same day that I think were about 27" distance with a 210 lens. I'm anxious to see how those look. Should be pretty tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Very good start with beautiful images. I took this image two weeks ago with a Graflex 5x7 Home Portrait camera and an Emil Busch Portrat Objektiv 245mm f/3 lens.Attachment 187350
    Mother and Daughter. Like it.
    Best regards

Bernhard

https://deramateurphotograph.de/

Still playing with my Aero Ektar...

Graflex Pacemaker
    Aero Ektar Yellow dot 7" at full aperture and a light tilt
    HP5 processed with ilfotec HC 1+47
    Large format photography is not only about size.

Like!
    Tin Can

Thanks Randy !
    Large format photography is not only about size.

Hello all. I shoot portraits and have worked quite a bit with other formats, but only shot my first large format portrait this week. I have been through several large format books and have a handle on some of the differences technically shooting portraits with the camera. I would like to ask those with experience what the most common movements you use are specifically for portraits. I am assuming using the front movements to bring the lens into the plane of the face might be one, but then I saw the first two photos in this “article.”

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/16/sho...ra-first-time/

In addition to mentioning what movements you typically use, can you also give input on what movement you think the photographer used in the first two photos? I sense it might be a back tilt to the lens plane (like the top of the lens plane tilts back).

I apologize if this has already been discussed at length on this forum. I keep trying the search function but I must not know how to use it as it gives me endless unrelated results for some reason.

Front tilt changes plane of focus without distorting size relationships. Rear tilt changes plane of focus but it adds size distortion. (With back tilt, part of the film will be moved closer to the subject, and the other side will be farther away. The subject will appear bigger to the part of the film that's closer to the subject.) The closer you are to part of the subject, the bigger this effect.

For this reason, one situation might call for lens tilt, and another might call for rear tilt. Front tilt uses more of a lens's image circle, and so that might limit the amount that can be used.

Note that the Kodak camera does have indirect front tilt. If you know you need 10 degrees tilt, for example. Tilt the camera 10 degrees, use back tilt to plumb the back, and then use front rise to get the framing you want.

Her first two photos look like front tilt was used.

Portrait cameras, though, often don't have front tilt, as the lens can be very far from the view screen, and that makes working front tilt while watching the ground glass difficult. Deardorff made a camera where front tilt could be adjusted from the back.

The best way to learn about this is to set up a still life and play around.
    This discussion should probably be moved out of this image-sharing thread.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know