Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best approach for repro work where size reduction is required?

Re: Best approach for repro work where size reduction is required?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You don’t reverse it.
    Bob, are you sure ?

By reversing we also reverse the ray tracing, so if we reverse the lens then we geometrically invert the value for the optimal magnification. With x1 it would not have an effect, but the benefit it should be clear for the x2. Think that enlarger lenses are usually reversed for macro, because of that.

http://extreme-macro.co.uk/reversed-enlarger-lenses/
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170218...larger-lenses/

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Bob, are you sure ?

By reversing we also reverse the ray tracing, so if we reverse the lens then we geometrically invert the value for the optimal magnification. With x1 it would not have an effect, but the benefit it should be clear for the x2. Think that enlarger lenses are usually reversed for macro, because of that.

http://extreme-macro.co.uk/reversed-enlarger-lenses/
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170218...larger-lenses/
    Yes, the D is not an enlarging lens!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Yes, the D is not an enlarging lens!
    We discussed that before... D stands for Duplication, I know, but we have the x1 and the x2 lenses. D x2 is not duplication but for enlarging to x2.

Anyway, I've to correct that the x2 lens has not to be reversed, because x2 is for projecting, not for taking the image, recommending -0.8 to -0.4 magnification in a camera.

For the APO Rodagon N catalog says "Magnification range: -0.05 … -0.5" so magnification in this case in the camera sense.

It's really easy with a real process camera. The magnification / reduction is marked on a big scale hooked to the aperture of the lens. No fiddling with exposure times, once you have a good time established. Bottom line. That Claron will do anything you want it to do . Look up lens extension in a old Kodak master photoguide or on line plug in your numbers and go. Have fun. If I had room I would have a nice horizontal process camera. When you think of cut and paste, remember that it was literally cut and paste in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Your G-Claron will do just fine at 1:2. Heck, it'll do fine at infinity as well. Doremus
    Are you saying that it would be possible for a 10x reduction in size with my G-Claron 150mm lens? Like if I wanted to reduce a four-foot-long poster to an 8x10 negative? Or would I need a larger lens like a 355mm? Thanks you all are so knowledgeable.
    Last edited by kendolinator324058943; 10-Feb-2019 at 05:36.

Quote Originally Posted by kendolinator324058943 View Post
    Are you saying that it would be possible for a 10x reduction in size with my G-Claron 150mm lens? Like if I wanted to reduce a four-foot-long poster to an 8x10 negative? Or would I need a larger lens like a 355mm? Thanks you all are so knowledgeable.
    That's just taking a full frame photo of your poster. Easy-peasy. The G-Claron will perform just fine. You should be far enough away from your original with 150mm that spherical distortion at the corners should not be a problem. The only reason to go to a longer lens would be if that were a problem, e.g., if objects appear "stretched" at the corners and edges. That is a function of angular projection and the distance the camera is from the subject.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    That's just taking a full frame photo of your poster. Easy-peasy. The G-Claron will perform just fine. You should be far enough away from your original with 150mm that spherical distortion at the corners should not be a problem. The only reason to go to a longer lens would be if that were a problem, e.g., if objects appear "stretched" at the corners and edges. That is a function of angular projection and the distance the camera is from the subject.

Best,

Doremus
    Ok thanks again Doremus. Can you recommend the sharpest 8 x 10 film that will pick up the most detail? Someone else referred me to X-ray film. What is usually used in process camera work?
    Last edited by kendolinator324058943; 11-Feb-2019 at 02:25.